Discussion Board

Unhappy Cannot get CameraApp to work

HI everyone,

I have been trying to write a program to interface with the onboard camera of a Nokia 6630. I have tried running the example program CameraApp both on the SDK emulator and on my phone and in both cases the program terminates immediately when it is loaded. I am using Symbian SDK Version 2 with Feature Pack 2.

Is there a problem with this example program? I find this hard to believe as it is from Nokia - so do the emulator and my camera support the new CCamera API? I ask this as I managed to get a small program to take pictures from the camera using the older RCameraServ API on the emulator.

If the example program is simply buggy then could someone point me to where the bug is? I am a newbie to Symbian C++ and have no idea where to look.

I have used the CameraApp example to build my own application. I can get this application to run but I can't get either the viewfinder or the captured image to display on screen. It's as if the program simply does nothing. I am not even sure if it successfully connects to the camera server!

I don't know how to display error messages and find out what is going on in my code so I am stuck. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Ryan

Nokia Developer Moderator
    you should use the ECam camera example instead of the old OS 6.1 camera server example.

The camera system was changed already in OS 7.0, and the old camera server is not supported anymore in OS 8.0 phones.

yucca

Hi,

Just to clarify:

The Nokia 6630 is a Symbian OS 8.0 phone.

The CameraApp example I was using uses the ECam library but it still does not work on the 6630.

If there is a different ECam example I am unaware of it. Could you provide a direct link to it for me?

Many thanks!

Ryan

Nokia Developer Moderator
    ok, if I remember right, there was some errors on the audio file. So remove the "click" sound playing from it and it should work fine.

yucca

Problem Solved! :)

Thanks Yucca,

The problem was with the soundfile. I removed that bit from the example app and it worked fine.

Have now ripped that example apart and have a nice little engine to capture a bitmap for my main application!

Cheers,

Ryan

CameraApp Fix

Ryan,

I am about to try to do the same thing.

Since you have already produced code that works, could you post the fix, or e-mail it? Otherwise I'm going to go through
    the same torture you just did.

Best Regards,

- tkinsman

Ok,

Basically just do a search in all the source and header files for "sound". Where you find some code related to sound delete it. Simple as that.

If you want a sound when you take the picture then you can leave the code alone but you will need to find the correct address for the default sound file on the 6630.

The files where there are bits of code relating to sound are the main resource file, AppUi, AppController and their associated header files.

Hope this helps, any other probs then post a reply.

Ryan

Re: Cannot get CameraApp to work

Hi,

CameraApp example allows us to capture still images.But I need to capture video image.Has anyone of you tried on this??Let me know if you have any pointers.

Thanx
    Last edited by v_hegde; 2006-03-08 at 11:26.