Discussion Board

Accessing PhoneBook on All Phones

Hi,
    I want to write an application which can sit on my desktop and communicate with any Nokia phone to extract all of the phonebook entries.

I am new to mobile development, so any advice about how I can do this is very much appreciated!!!!

Thanks guys!

Super Contributor
    Well, for one, doing it for "all" phones is impossible (some Nokia phones have no kind of PC connectivity whatsover).

For some phones it is possible by using AT commands (if you first set up the phone to show up as a modem to the PC).

For some models the PC Connectivity SDK is another option (but it, for example, doesn't work with the Symbian OS based Nokia phones at all).

You can also for many phones write a phone app that your PC app can communicate with, if there is no other mechanism available.

I'd try the AT command route first (it is the most "generic" way & all it needs is for the phone to appear as a modem for the PC).

Thanks for your reply!

I think that using the AT commands would indeed work best for the application I want to develop.

The application will need to work with as many phone types as possible, so I hope this is the best method of interacting with mobile phones.

Do you know if there are any Nokia phones, that can be connected to a PC via cable, which do not use AT commands?

Thanks again,
    -Jonathan