Discussion Board

Thumbs down Nokia 6020 emailing capabilities

I just bought a Nokia 6020 partly with the purpose of reading and sending email on the go.

However I became very disappointed when I realized that the 6020 does not support any SSL connection for POP, IMAP or SMTP. Furthermore, it only supports LOGIN type authentication for IMAP, which is basically sending your password plain text over the internet.

Many mail providers, such as Gmail, quite understandably require SSL for any SMTP or POP connections.

With the realistic dangers of having your traffic sniffed on the Internet nowadays I think this is simply not acceptable from Nokia.

Also I wish there was some place where one could get the really detailed specs of any Nokia phone, where such things were mentioned, so that the concious consumer would not need to experience such disappointing suprises AFTER having spent several months worth of savings on a phone.

BTW, why doesn't Nokia monitor this discussion board? Lots of stuff just doesn't fit under any of the other topics and maybe they could get some valuable feedback in here. Besides that there is only a very manageable amount of traffic in this board.

Super Contributor
    This phone supports SSL but it requires that your operator support this as well.

I know that the phone supports SSL, but its email application unfortunately doesn't. It doesn't give any option for SSL or TLS.