Discussion Board

deployment of Java game to 6310 handset

I have written a game in Java using Nokia Dev Suite for J2ME, and have tested it on the 6310i emulator. However now I need to deploy it to an actual handset for more extensive testing. What hardware do I need to achieve this (apart from the handset of course!)? I'm working on a PC under Windows 2K, and I'd like to avoid the very high-end symbian platforms for the time being (I imagine this is trivial on those anyhow).

RE: deployment of Java game to 6310 handset

You can deploy your MIDlet by the same Dev Suite tool either by using the data cable or over IrDA. When deploying over IrDA, you need no additional equipment (presuming you have an IrDA port in your PC).

1) Start Dev Suite
    2) Select 'Deployment' from Tool Selection
    3) Click 'start'
    -- a new window appears soonish --
    4) Type in JAD and JAR address
    5) Select IrDA receiving on handset
    6) Click 'Deploy'

Note there is a 30200 byte limit on application size (jar size).
    There is also a heap limit of (I believe) 144k. The Nokia emulator
    doesn't enforce this, but you can set the heap size on the Sun emulator, so you can do a little more testing whilst waiting for a phone!

Note, when downloading to the phone you need to delete any older version of the application first, or you get an error.

After clicking deploy I got the following error message.
    Connecting to Nokia 6310i (device: 1)...........
    Deploy the file test1.jad..
    Deploy the file test1.jar..
    Deployment of the file test1.jar failed!
    Troubleshooting:
    - Is the connection to the device lost?
    - Make sure that you don't have a file with
    the same name on your device already.
    Connection closed.

I don't have a file named test1.jar on the device, because this is my first deployment. And the connection isn't lost because in the select device area I have an active connection to my 6310i.
    Anyone knows what's wrong?

I got the 'delployment failed message for a number of reasons'.
    Check that the application is not already on the device - even if it fails it may be added to the list of applications, causing problems in future attempts (go to Applications and check that it isn't there).

The second most likely case is that the jar is too big or the jad is invalid. If it runs in the emulator, check the jar size is <30200 bytes.

I've checked several times if the application is deleted from the device before deploying it. I tried to deploy the Nokia midlet sample HelloWorld which is not more then 30200 bytes(actually the jar is 7755 bytes), and still got this error message. Do you know if this problem may caused by the infrared connection? Unfortunately I don't have a serial cable, so I'm not able to test it with the cable. Anyway I use the infrared connection for dial up without any problem.