Discussion Board

Thread: 7610 MMAPI bug

Exclamation 7610 MMAPI bug

Hi,

Be aware that there is a bug in the audio capture functionality of the 7610 MMAPI implementation. The 7610 is a series 60 DP2 handset and is specified to support audio capture and the amr codec in its MMAPI implementation.

On my test device the player will not start when trying to capture audio using amr. It works fine when using wav encoding though.

Looking at "audio.encodings", audio/amr is stated as supported. If getSupportedContentTypes() is called for "capture" it also lists amr support.

I find this very annoying. The variations in MMAPI functionality from handset to handset are difficult enough to deal with. The devices can at least be expected to comply with their specifications.

My firmware version is V4.0437.4, 15-09-04, RH-51.

I have the same problem as you, my device is 6260 and 6670, and I ask nokia about this problem, but I couldnn't get any satisfied answer! Maybe, I really should give up the nokia phones now.

Super Contributor

Re: 7610 MMAPI bug

did you succeed in recording in au format on your 6670 btw ?

Regular Contributor

The same problem with nokia 3230, it s anoying. audio.encodings == encoding=audio/wav encoding=audio/au encoding=audio/amr encoding=audio/raw,
    It takes me a half a day to test again and again, but it seems the only supported
    format seems audio/wav only, which is too big for GPRS to upload .

Regular Contributor

Media capture is one of the last frontiers in J2ME, and is badly supported everywhere. This is why serious voice input applications are based on IVR systems and normal voice transmission.

One possibility is to implement an ADPCM algorithm, which would be fairly fast on J2ME. You can probably find many Java implementations of other simple compression algorithms to work from. One location would be the JMF source distribution, which contains various voice-grade codecs you could adapt for J2ME.

Re: 7610/6630 MMAPI bug

i find the same difficulty in Nokia 6630 also. when getSupportedContentTypes is queried, it lists out audio/amr in it, but not able to record in amr format. is this bug or there is any other parameters to be added to the following sytax.

p= Manager.createPlayer("capture://audio?encoding=amr");

thanks
    adhilu

not sure if you guys still are interested on this thread. I recenlty encountered a similiar problem when I tried to do audio capture in amr codec. I found that the following line of code does not work.

p= Manager.createPlayer("capture://audio?encoding=amr");

instead to record in amr use the following line.

p= Manager.createPlayer("capture://audio?encoding=audio/amr");

that seems to work.

I got a problem. When I played a Mp3 on Nokia 6670 ,there are not any voice,but on Nokia N70, that's Ok. any one cound help me?