Discussion Board

Send jar files to series 40 phones

I am attempting to write a C# program to transfer jar filies to nokia's series 40 phones via infrared.

I manage to get my program working for series 60 phones. I am using OBEX protocol to transfer the files. Once transferred, the jar file gets installed on the phone.

However for series 40 phones, the file gets transferred but the phone complains that the file format is unknown.

Thinking it is the mime types problem, I have also transferred the correct mime types to the phone during the OBEX transfer. However it does not work as well.

After some initial investigation, I think that transferring jar files to series 40 phones does not use OBEX. But I have no idea what would be the correct method be.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Super Contributor
    Hi edmundttj.. Welcome to Nokia Discussion Forum!!

If All you need is to transfer your files from your PC to mobile means you could transfer using Nokia PCsuite..

Or do you have any specific requirement ??

regards
    Gopal

Hi, I know the PC Suite can do it but my project requires me to do it without the PC Suite. Basically I want to know HOW the PC Suite does it and duplicate the effort using C#. I am only interested in transferring Java game files (*.jar).

After some more investigation, it seems that Nokia Series 40 phones has a particular socket level protocol for any client to interact with its folder contents and from there, it seems a java game can be installed. The infrared connection is made with the service name of "Nokia:PhoNet\0", and that is all I can figure out.

However I am unable to find any documentation on this protocol. Does anyone have any idea?

Regular Contributor
    I have an idea that nokia are highly unlikely to tell you how it works.

That is all.

yes... perhaps Nokia may not tell us....

in any case, it is not really a big secret anyway... gnokii has done it as have so many other commercial pc-to-phone products.

i think i can derive some stuff from gnokii....