Discussion Board

Borland C++ failure to make HelloWorldBasic

Hi!
    I'm just trying to get started on SYmbian using Borland C++ and cannot get a complete make using Borland c++ Builder X 1.5. I have seen a lot of other people having problems with the Borland environment but not quite this error.
    My setup: WinXP Pro with SP2
    Target SDK: S80_DP2_0_SDK
    I have followed the install instructions for the SDK and Borland and have also installed .Net 1.1 SDK so the linker now works.

What appears to be going wrong is the PERL make script that when run looks like this (error at end of this printout):

C:\Symbian\7.0s\S80_DP2_0_SDK\Series80Ex\helloworldbasic\group>abld -v resource
    WINS UDEB
    make -r -f "\Symbian\7.0s\S80_DP2_0_SDK\EPOC32\BUILD\SYMBIAN\7.0S\S80_DP2_0_S
    DK\SERIES80EX\HELLOWORLDBASIC\GROUP\WINS.make" RESOURCE CFG=UDEB
    nmake -nologo -x - -f "\Symbian\7.0s\S80_DP2_0_SDK\EPOC32\BUILD\SYMBIAN\7.0S\S
    80_DP2_0_SDK\SERIES80EX\HELLOWORLDBASIC\GROUP\HELLOWORLDBASIC\WINS\HELLOWORLDBAS
    IC.WINS" RESOURCEUDEB
    process_begin: CreateProcess((null), nmake -nologo -x - -f \Symbian\7.0s\S80_DP2
    _0_SDK\EPOC32\BUILD\SYMBIAN\7.0S\S80_DP2_0_SDK\SERIES80EX\HELLOWORLDBASIC\GROUP\
    HELLOWORLDBASIC\WINS\HELLOWORLDBASIC.WINS RESOURCEUDEB, ...) failed.
    make (e=2): Det gÕr inte att hitta filen.
    make: *** [RESOURCEHELLOWORLDBASIC] Error 2

Note; "Det gÕr inte att hitta filen." Means file not found in swedish.

It appears that nmake is trying to access the file "\Symbian\7.0s\S80_DP2
    _0_SDK\EPOC32\BUILD\SYMBIAN\7.0S\S80_DP2_0_SDK\SERIES80EX\HELLOWORLDBASIC\GROUP\
    HELLOWORLDBASIC\WINS\HELLOWORLDBASIC.WINS"

which does not exist the reason being because the directory depth is no deeper than "\Symbian\7.0s\S80_DP2
    _0_SDK\EPOC32\BUILD\SYMBIAN\7.0S\S80_DP2_0_SDK\SERIES80EX\HELLOWORLDBASIC\GROUP\"

Has anyone seen this or have a good remedy?

Did u try to run any other applications....did it run successfully or same error......first let us know about it...as far as the depth of directory is concerned...some files and folders are created during run time and after successful compilation..they are destroyed....so don't bother about the depth of directories.....Try and build some other example application if error persists..then we'll definitely find some remedy......

Rohit Saxena

I have tried several of the test applications and had the same problem. A co-worker of mine ont the other hand had no problems while installing on his Win2k platform. Wonder if this could possbbly have anything to do with Win XP, or my installation being swedish? I have installed all packages using the default settings, making care to not have spaces in pathnames as specified in the installation instructions.

I have exactly the same problem with the Series 90 SDK for the Nokia 7710 and the Borland C++BuilderX.
    I also tried to build the application in the command windows. The same error occures.
    Then I installed the Series 60 SDK and tried to build a sample application for the Series 60. That works without any problems. Then I installed a evaluation version of CodeWarrior and the Series 90 SDK for CodeWarrior. That also worked without any problems. Therefore I think that there is a Problem in the SDK in some special cases. But until now I could not solve that problem. So if you found a solution please let me know.

Have given up on Borland

I have given up on Borland for the time being as I have no solution to this problem. Although I am now nearing a project that may require the Borland environment again. If anyone has any solutions for us please let us know.