Discussion Board

Smile very newww n need hellllllllpppppppppp

hi my name's ravin.i'm very new at C++.i've downloaded the document intro 2 designing C++ applications but not sure if its the right 1.n i also donno which SDK 2 install.i also need some tips.help me pls

If you want to learn Symbian and create you own applications in C++ read, read, read AND READ!!!.....

You can get sick if you try to read the SDK help at first... so I recommend you the reading of tutorials like those that can be found at http://www.symbian.com/developer/techlib/index.html

At first it can be quite frustrating but I'm sure you'll see the light soon. :-)

Complement you reading with the analysis of simple examples like Helloworldbasic and those that can be found in Examples and Series60Examples (or UIQExamples for UIQ SDK)...

Some important points:

-Structure of a basic application: document, appui.. knowledge of view/container issues. Eikon, uikon, avkon...

- Graphical components

- Memory management : CleanupStack, and the way memory is freed

- Active objects

- Server/Client arquitectures (ufff, for more advance levels!!... hehehe)

what software do i need to develope an application?

You need an IDE like Visual Studio and the Series 60 or UIQ SDK. Also Perl is needed.

Some tools included in the SDK require a Java Runtime Environment(JRE) also. Look at the doc of the SDK you have installed to get the right version of the JRE.

If everything is properly installed, you'll be able to create a Visual Studio workspace for an application (from the .mmp file that defines the application project) by using mmpclick (a tool that can be found in Series60Tools folder) or start a new application from the beginning using the 'applicationwizard' (that is in the same folder than mmpclick), read the doc related to these tools.

where can i find these?

and also where can i find the SDK file?the 1 i installed was the 2nd edition SDK feature pack.is it the right 1?

a generic Symbian SDK -> www.symbian.com Developers section
    JRE -> java.sun.com
    Perl-> www.perl.com

Check the SDK documentation to know the correct versions.

Is the right?

Well, it depends on the Symbian OS version of the device you'll use. If it's a Series 60 phone with Symbian OS 8.0 (like Nokia 6630) Series 60 Feature Pack 2 (Series 20 SDK v.2.6) will be the right, but not for example for a Nokia 6600... (Symbian OS 7.0)...

thanks.sorry bout that day left early