Discussion Board

Complete list of supported phones?

All the materials about the Python SDK mention Series 60 phones in general, and I'm looking at the 3660 as an entry level phone as I switch away from AT&T. The problem is, the front page Nokia's Python page lists a few specific models as having been actually tested with the software, without making it clear whether *all* Series 60 phones are *supposed* to work.

The page should be updated to be significantly clearer, either by stating flat out that *all* Series 60 phones are supposed to work, or explicitly separating the list between phones that Nokia employees have actually tested it on, and phones that are supposed to work but haven't been "confirmed". (although why those lists couldn't be the same, with a couple hours' testing of their own phones, I don't know.)

My specific question is whether the 3660 is supposed to work and/or has been reported to work by a user. If so, T-mobile gets my number, pending further evaluation.

Thanks,
    Omega

Super Contributor
    It should work, with the "Series 60 1st Edition" version of Python + the version 1.2 SDK; the 3660 is based on Series 60 1.2 a.k.a. Series 60 1st Edition.

Super Contributor

Re: Complete list of supported phones?

Originally posted by omegahacker
    All the materials about the Python SDK mention Series 60 phones in general, and I'm looking at the 3660 as an entry level phone as I switch away from AT&T. The problem is, the front page Nokia's Python page lists a few specific models as having been actually tested with the software, without making it clear whether *all* Series 60 phones are *supposed* to work.

The page should be updated to be significantly clearer, either by stating flat out that *all* Series 60 phones are supposed to work, or explicitly separating the list between phones that Nokia employees have actually tested it on, and phones that are supposed to work but haven't been "confirmed".
    Python for Series 60 should work on all Series 60 1st and 2nd Edition phones, but it has only been extensively tested on the models mentioned in the release notes. Note that the 7650 is not a part of this set; it runs an older release.

(although why those lists couldn't be the same, with a couple hours' testing of their own phones, I don't know.)
    Mind you, we do test the releases more than a couple of hours

My specific question is whether the 3660 is supposed to work and/or has been reported to work by a user.
    It should work, since it's so similar to the 3650. And besides, I haven't heard of any Series 60 phone that Python doesn't work on.

The 3650 and the 3660 are far from ideal Python development platforms, though, since they have so little available RAM. You can't use the normal version of urllib, for example. If you want a decent budget model for Python development, you might want to consider the N-gage or the N-gage QD, if they are available.

Super Contributor

Re: Re: Complete list of supported phones?

Originally posted by jplauril
    It should work, since it's so similar to the 3650. And besides, I haven't heard of any Series 60 phone that Python doesn't work on.
    Just to clarify this: The 7650 hasn't been tested and I have severe doubts if Python will run on it.

hello ,
    Here is the complete list of S60 phones and the pys60 package to install on it.

# S60 3rd Edition (Symbian OS v9.1)
    Nokia E60, E61, E70
    Nokia 3250
    Nokia N71, N80, N91, N92

not yet supported but soon available Q2 2006

# S60 2nd Edition FP3 (Symbian OS v8.1)
    Nokia N70, N90

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/p...1.SIS?download

# S60 2nd Edition FP2 (Symbian OS v8.0a)
    Nokia 6630, 6680, 6681, 6682
    Lenovo P930

# S60 2nd Edition FP1
    (Symbian OS v7.0s enhanced)
    Nokia 3230, 6260, 6620, 6670, 7610
    Panasonic X700, X800
    Samsung SDH-D720,SGH-D730
    (2nd Edition Symbian OS v7.0s)
    Nokia 6600

# S60 1st Edition (Symbian OS v6.1)
    Nokia 3600, 3620, 3650, 3660, 7650
    Nokia N-Gage, N-Gage QD
    Sendo X
    Siemens SX1

Warning ! Not all models have been tested
    If someone has tested one exotic model warn us if it works !
    pys60 1.4.5 and 2.0.0, pygame, PyS60 CE on E90 and 5800 !

Find my pys60 extension modules on cyke64.googlepages.com

Regular Contributor

I would recommened against 1st edition phone. From pys60 perspective, all APIs are not available. Also, they are somewhat crappy as a phones also. If you are on budget, try to get 6630 if at all possible. It is much better phone, and not too expensive nowadays.

Hello ,

Look at my google pages for the complete list of S60 phones and the DIRECT link for installing the right pys60 package to your phone !

http://cyke64.googlepages.com/pys60distribution
    pys60 1.4.5 and 2.0.0, pygame, PyS60 CE on E90 and 5800 !

Find my pys60 extension modules on cyke64.googlepages.com