Discussion Board

shortMidiEvent() problem with Nokia 6170

While playing around with the MIDIContol API on a 6170, I'm hitting some strange quirks: using short midi events on MIDI channel 9 (drum sounds, sending a note on event) only plays 44 drum sounds, then silence. I have tried to send note off events (even though the MIDI spec says you do not need to), but that makes no difference.

Has anyone else experienced that too? Any workarounds or tips?

Personally I hope it's something I'm doing wrong. Otherwise a phone with the API implemented correctly would be more than welcome. I've been working on this for over a year now, last year I bought the 6600, then found it had a "known issue": it did not support the midi control api, but the emulator did.

As an aside I'd be intersted to know if this is Nokia or Symbian's "known issue". I went for a job interview at Symbian a few years back and was none too impressed by the interviewer who was in charge of the Java port to Symbian's then new OS.

Oh well enough ranting for today. I'll go and watch some tv instead.

shortMidiEvent() in Nokia 6170

hey,sorry for not replying ur msg for so long,anyway,i have experience the same thing too,have u tested any other nokia phones?if u do,please inform me cuz i need to get a phone which supports this API in order to demonstrate for my final year project.

Hope to hear ur reply soon...

Only one

I have tried the 6600, and that's all. It's an expensive business.

The Java developper connection has some forums, I posted a question in the Java Media Forum. Asking what phone (any brand) works with this. But no reply. I may try the MIDP forum.

The javasoft site has a page which lists all the phones & manufacrturers, and the API's supported. But then the 6600 ais listed there, even though it does not fully support JSR 135. So I do not know if the motorola or Sony Ericsons will work.

When I get the chance I'll try another brand.

tried on Sony Ericsson K700

hey,ive actually bought the K700 Sony Ericsson hoping it supports but i was disapointed it did not.I tried to ask in Sony Ericsson's developer forum and they said that K750 supports the Midi Controller.

Anyway,i want to tell u abt the problem im having in 6170.It seems that after i press Short MidiEvent several times, the phone does not generate the sound anymore until i had to close and reopen the application again.

I found a website who did research on nokia handphones which supports the MMAPI. He said that

"Audio playback controls: The 6600 only supports VolumeControl, ToneControl and StopTimeControl; The 6230 supports MIDIControl, ToneControl, TempoControl, RateControl, PitchControl and StopTimeControl. The 6230 is very good at MIDI playback!"

For more info,u can go to these websites:

1)http://www.enterprisej2me.com/blog/java/?postid=47
    2)www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=375708

I have a feeling that 6230 supports well MIDIControl but not other phones.If u dont mind trying on this phone and inform me the result.Im also looking for some friends who has 6230 cuz i dont wanna waste so much money just to try out this thing.

In my opinion, they should specifically tell which model supports and does not instead of just telling that jsr135 is supported.

Anyway,gtg now,hope to hear from u soon.