Discussion Board

Question Circuit Switch & Packet Switch at the same time on Series60 Platform

Dear All,

Is there any expert who knows whether one Series60 platform is able to handle a Circuit Switch Connection and a Packet Switch Connection at the same time.

e.g : I have a 3G or EDGE SIM Card, and I want to make a phone call while I'm transmitting some IP data.

Prompt reponse will be appreciated.

Rergards,

Trick Lo.

Super Contributor
    The packet data connection is suspended until the call ends.

Other Phones ?

Therefore, do you know if there is one Symbian phone allowing this ?

Thank's

Hi,
    It has nothing to do with symbian or for that matter any handset. Today's technologies (GSM, CDMA) do not support simultaneous allocation of data and voice channels.

In future, when voice is supported over data channel, it will be possible.

Let me know if you need detailed explaination.

yogesh

For GSM or CDMA ok. But using UMTS, maybe it's possible with Nokia 6630 or 6680, no ?

Super Contributor
    No.

UMTS is another access technology which supports higher data rate on the data channel. As long as the voice is carried over a separate channel than data channel, you can not acquire two radio channels simultaneously. Once the voice traffic is implemented to be carried over the data channel (Voice over Packet or Voice over IP), what you are saying is possible.

HTH

Doesn't the ETSI spec allow for this? I think it is called GPRS Class A. Are there any "Class A" devices?

Hi,
    You correct in your observation. However, there is not a single phone which is of class A category. This is because of the fact that it requires lot of CPU power to support this functionality. Moreover, it also requires to be supported by the network. This fact is classified as Network Operation Mode (NOM) which devides networks into different classes 1, 2, and 3. So unless the network is of calss NOM1 and the phone is class A, data and voice calls can not be supported simulatenously. Both of these conditions require huge investments both by network operators and phone manufacturers (both are more interested in making money or for that matter most of us!!). Because of this reason we do not have class A phones yet. Also, people realize that it would be much cheaper to support voice on data channel rather than supporting both the channels together.

cheers!

Re: Circuit Switch & Packet Switch at the same time on Series60 Platform

Hi pandeya,

so if what you're saying is correct how do I need to interpret this feature from the 6680 feature list:

WCDMA 2100 with simultaneous voice and packet data (PS max speed UL/DL= 128/384kbps, CS max speed 64kpbs)
    http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,,71026,00.html#co

Doesn't this say that the 6680 is capable of simultaneous CS and PS streams?

Cheers
    Frank