Discussion Board

Question why not List.MULTIPLE fire SELECT_COMMAND event?

hi,everyone

i define a List.MULTIPLE,in emulator of NOKIA S60 it can fire SELECT_COMMAND event , but on a real mobile of nokia 6630 and 6600 it can't fire the event ,but if i change the list to IMPLICIT type the it can fire the event.Why ? it's crazy!

please help, thank you very much!

Super Contributor
    If the emulator is firing a SELECT_COMMAND then that looks like a bug on the emulator. Only IMPLICIT lists are supposed to fire SELECT_COMMAND. For the rest of the types you need to add your own Commands.

shmoove

shmoove, thank you for your reply

however , please tell me how do you know that's a bug of emulator instead of a bug of 6630, and are you sure "Only IMPLICIT lists are supposed to fire SELECT_COMMAND." ?

please give me a link to the document about this ,much appreciated!!

my 6630's firmware version is : 3.45.113 ,04-01-05

Super Contributor
    In the javadoc of the List class there is the folowing sentence:
    Selection in EXCLUSIVE and MULTIPLE Lists

The select operation is not associated with a Command object, so the application has no means of setting a label for it or being notified when the operation is performed.
    shmoove

thank you again ,shmoove

i've read the doc , you are right!

will you demonstrate a little , as you metioned, how to "add your own Commands" ?

my problem is , when a user traversing among list items , i can't know which item is highlighted, i can only get those selected by using getSelectedFlags(). If an item is highlighted but not selected , i don't know which one it is!

Super Contributor
    I don't know of any way to know which item is highlighted.

When I said "add your own commands" I meant using addCommand() and setCommandListener() so when the user is done selecting from the list he uses this command to trigger an action from the MIDlet.

shmoove