Discussion Board

Angry So close... 6230i filesytem unusable

After seeing this running I almost, for a moment, considered replacing my K700i but then ...

After being handed a shiny new handset, I installed the PDADemo app from WTK 2.2. Only to find that I can browse the directories under c:/ but I cannot write anything. further more trying to create a directory for my MIDlet produces a securityException.
    The MIDlet was signed and all the permissions were set to allow always. for both read and add / edit.

Does anyone know what directories the 6230i will allow write access using the jsr75 fileconnection API?

Also, an observation.

The MIDlet is not allocated a directory on install. implied by the API documentation on this very site.
    System.getProperty( fileconn.dir.private) & System.getProperty(fileconn.dir.private.name ) both return null.

Now I know the docs say not to rely on these, but surely. If, in my permission I'm asking for write permission, (I would even specify how much space I want ) and the MIDlet is signed, why is a MIDlet directory not made available ?

A long shot...

I even tried to allocate the required space using MIDlet-Data-Size, I knew this was likely to fail but you never actually know until you try.

It does work with a memory card...

But you can't rely on the device having one installed. also the e:/ root does not dissapear once the card has been removed.

We are not amused.

Regular Contributor
    Application access->Phone access->Add and edit data->Ask every time

Not on my device

The security Exception dialog is still being displayed.

Permission set to ask every time, attempted to create an application directory in c:/.

More info.

System.getProperty( fileconn.dir.* )

fileconn.dir.memorycard - works but cannot be relied on.
    fileconn.dir.private - returns null
    fileconn.dir.tones
    fileconn.dir.videos
    fileconn.dir.photos

Etc...

I can write into directories under the gallery hierarchy, however, this is not acceptable for my application. The application files should NOT be not be easily viewable to the end user.

Re: So close... 6230i filesytem unusable

I'd did a quick test on this and found out that the canWrite() method has a bug:

Folder name: CanWrite? CanActuallyWrite?
    C:\ yes no (gives SecurityException)
    C:\predefgalleries no no
    C:\predefgalleries\videos no yes
    C:\predefgalleries\photos etc. no yes

So it doesn't even fail consistently..
    Horrible.
    This was on 6230i R200