Discussion Board

Question Moving project files from a computer to another

When importing mmp files, CodeWarrior puts some hard coded paths in the project. This makes it hard to move project files between computers - and to move project files to different directory, for example, when buliding code in version management branches simultaneously.

I could always import mmp files again, but then I miss out subprojects & dependencies.

Is there a good solution for this problem?

Nokia Developer Expert
    There should be no hard-coded paths included in the project. Everything should be relative to the SDK path defined in Source Trees and the project's home directory. As long as the same source tree is defined on other machines the project should be transportable.

Regards,

Matt Pinsonneault
    Nokia Developer Support

Well, source path is by default at least hard coded. If there is need to make fixes to a branch, for example, and edit sources in different directory (have two version of the project available), this has to be changed.

It expects that every developer either stores the data in the same source path, or edits the project settings - every time project file is upgraded. It would be useful to be able to specify source tree/mmp dir with a relative path (to mcp).

mmp files are easier to move, but unfortunately makmake cannot build in dependencies from one mmp to another (or rather mcp to another mcp).

Nokia Developer Expert
    Can you please tell me what SDK you are using?

Regards,

Matt Pinsonneault
    Nokia Developer Support

S60 2.1 + CW 2.8.3.

Nokia Developer Expert
    When I tried with this combination I only got hard-coded paths if I checked "Create files in default root directory" when importing. When I left this unchecked I got file paths relative to the location of the SDK, which is much more portable. Try that and see if it helps.

It's generally a good idea to uncheck that option anyway; it makes for much shorter file paths.

Regards,

Matt Pinsonneault
    Nokia Developer Support

That works, sort of...

Unfortunately CodeWarrior is not able to import multiple mmps depending on each other, except by manually adding each of those. Way too mauch work whenever someone changes mmp file.

mmp/bld.inf is much more useful for batch building.