Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Personal Profile need advice while making software

There are some question concerning the personal profile apps on the Communikators:
    1. Can i make a sis installer from the java sources (perhaps from jar file)
    2. which software (tutoria if needed) should i use??
    3. Curently i am using WebSphere to implement the PP soft is there any kind of free software to do that
    4. did someone saw a SWING working on PP ?? I am asking becouse i must consider writing an app wich needs to present data in tables?
    5. where can i find the environment restrictions memory and JVM specification for the Personal Profile??

Could someone share his or hers experience working with PP.

Thank YOU in advance
    Mariusz

1. Yes, why not?
    2. Nokia S80 PP SDK, I guess.
    3. Eclipse etc., just compile against PP libs.
    4. PP has AWT, so the "add-on" SWING 1.x might work, not tested though - there are AWT/Java 1.x components available too.
    5. Device specs are a bit scattered around Nokia web pages - PP specs can be found on Sun web pages.

We are just porting a PersonalJava app written for N92xx (+PDAs) and it seems to be 'doable' ...though there are some tricky problems as we use CBAs, serial comms and native libs...

What we are missing now is a tutorial on making the 'app launch' stuff for 9500 Java... for development purposes the .j9 file is adequate, but haven't found yet how to make a end-user config...

Originally posted by jprosti

What we are missing now is a tutorial on making the 'app launch' stuff for 9500 Java... for development purposes the .j9 file is adequate, but haven't found yet how to make a end-user config...
    You can't create SIS installer file (you could do for pJava apps for 9210). Your users get a single .jar file in which there is a manifest.mf file with the proper information (app icon, main class etc.). See the previous posts in this subject. Of course some of your customers won't know what to do with a .jar file and some of them installed jre and it will recognize the .jar file instead of PC Suite so prepare your support team :). And don't expect too much revenue.

Errm, why not? The docs (S80_DP2_0_PP_SDK_Users_Guide.pdf, chapter 5.7, page 28) say it's possible? Have to see what are the previous posts... this ?
    Last edited by jprosti; 2005-05-03 at 13:04.

Errm, why not? The docs (S80_DP2_0_PP_SDK_Users_Guide.pdf, chapter 5.7, page 28) say it's possible? Have to see what are the previous posts... this ?
    What are you talking about? That chapter discusses the method of packaging your app into a .jar file. There is no SIS installer file.

The installation issue continues here...

The installation issue continues here...

Still no SIS installer option :)