Discussion Board

Support for international phone numbers

Can someone tell me if the latest series 60 handsets support international phone numbers properly - as in numbers that have a prefix of +nn, where nn is a country code?

The 7610 I have doesn't handle these at all well. For example, the SMS application has a log of delivery receipts. If an SMS is sent to a contact with a non-intl. format number then the log shows the contact name. But if the contact has a an intl. format number then the log shows the number, not the name. i.e. there's some sort of problem resolving the contact name if the number starts with a +.

I'd like to know if the newer Series 60 handsets behave differently to the 7610.

Another feature - related - that should be supported, but isn't in the 7610, is the ability to enter spaces and brackets in phone numbers. These are so much easier to read and they're consistent with how numbers are formatted in PIM software on the PC. I'd like to know if this is fixed in the newer handsets too.

Thanks and regards,
    Paul

Super Contributor
    I've always (for over 10 years now) stored phone numbers in international format and never had a problem with that (including on my 7610).

Is by happenstance your operator Orange? I've heard of some problems regarding phone numbers and Orange.

Otherwise than that, the only reason why a name is not picked up from Contacts is because of duplicate numbers in more than one contact record (in phone memory or the SIM).

My operator is Vodafone (UK).

I must emphasise that the problem is not to do with the phone call log. It is to do with the "Reports" part of the messaging app., for SMS items in the report. SMSs sent to contacts with intl. format numbers are listed in the Report by number, not name. SMSs sent from these contacts are listed in the Inbox by name (correctly). These contacts are in the same country as me.

I'm certain there aren't any duplicate numbers in my contacts. Oh, and my contacts are sync'd from my PC (Outlook 2003) using Nokia PC Suite 6.4. The numbers there have intl. format, e.g. "+44 (1234) 567890".

Of course, the real solution would be to do away with the Report in the Messaging app. and have the delivery info attached to the message in Sent Items, displayed as part of the "message details" info (much more logical !). Has this been done in the newer handsets?

Regards,
    Paul

More info...

The problem seems to be related to the numbers on my handset having the 'pretty' formatting included (the spaces and parentheses), e.g. "+44 (1234) 56789".

The pretty formatting on the handset is very useful because it's readable and consistent with numbers in Outlook (the 'master' database). Note, though, that you can't enter the formatting on the handset - it's there because PC Suite copied the numbers from Outlook like that (correctly).

If I edit a contact's number on the handset to remove the spaces and parentheses (e.g "+441234567890"), the Report _does_ recognise the number and displays the contact name (even for existing report items). So, to me, it appears to be a bug in the Messaging app's abilty to resolve numbers to names.

And there's also the bug of not being able to enter pretty formatting on the handset :-)

Regards,
    Paul
    Last edited by padlon; 2005-05-04 at 10:58.