Discussion Board

Thread: Screen Sizes

Post Screen Sizes

Hello

Were can I find a complete list of screen sizes for most mobile phones (not only Nokia but any brand/model)

Thanks

Super Contributor
    I don't think there is a complete list or even close to complete anywhere.

Most you can gather by going to each vendor's site (often you'll have to go to multiple sites of a single vendor to get info for all models globally).

Depending on what the vendors keep on their web site, you may find info only for current or some previous models, but depending on how far back in time you want to go, it'll be difficult.

There are several hundred phone models released every year, so it won't be easy.

Why do you need such info, by the way?

I'm new to mobile phones development, but I have background in pc games programming. In my experience different screen size is problematic when writing games, and on the mobile the number of different sizes is large. I guess that a compromise would be that the models with the largest size (pixels) would suffer from not being able to use its screen to its full potential for compatibility reasons. This is specially true for pure 2D applications. On the PC this is easy if you use 2D in 3D graphics. Seems strange to me that there isn't any big list of screen size for most mobiles aimed at developers.

Super Contributor
    There are so many even for Nokia phones today:

Series 40; 128x128, 208x208, 104x208, 128x160, at least.
    Series 60: 176x208, 352x416
    Series 80: 640x200
    7710: 640x320

Different colour depths; 4096, 65K, 262K

I've been thinking about it, and it seems to me that trying to create an application with good adaptation
    to most screen sizes is a very difficult task.

I believe the best strategy is to target a couple of popular models, and compile separate versions for each model.

Ok, its more work, but its safer and you get to adapt perfectly to the models specification.

Suggestions, Ideas? Please discuss.

a (maybe complete) list of phone-specifications can be found on

www.j2mepolish.org

Thanks for the link, great resource