Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

UNDESIRED Exit command key.

Hi,

This is the issue:

Maybe you noticed when running your midlet, on the left soft key
    there is automatically added by device an Exit command key. Pressing it always will exit application. This seems OK considering it as a security measure just in case a midlet feezes in its normal behavior; so, allowing to Exit for end-user.

The pain is this UNDESIRED Exit command itself can freezes the midlet. I did not see until now how to control this Exit command.
    On some devices, the midlet exits OK but on other it freezes the midlet and only the reset is the solution. I noticed this happens most of the cases when the midlet is connected via socket and this left Exit command is pressed.

The bigger pain is due to this issue no any application will pass
    the Java Verified !!! unless you are lucky .
    I tested at Java Verifed the same app on 7610 & 9500.
    On 7610 - the midlet freezes if this left Exit comand is pressed while on 9500 all is OK,
    Maybe I am doing something wrong but really I did not see how to control this Exit command on the left soft key.

I would please all of you to post here your ideas. Most of the sure will be a help for all not only for me. Nokia invited ...

Regards,
    tektronic

Super Contributor
    Have you tried using destroyApp() to close all connections, free resources, etc.?

shmoove

Regular Contributor
    hi shmoove,

In destroyApp() I am closing & free all it is possible, including net connections. I dont have the 7610 to perform my own tests and of course nobody can risk money going back to JVP just to try. I have instead 6600 on wich all it is OK. No crash. 9500 is also working ok.
    I found on this form somehow destroyApp() is called by the default Exit but I can not test on 7610 because I dont have it.

What I am suspecting, maybe in destroyApp() I should call the stuff in a thread keeping in mind I close the sockets and also
    the fact on some devices the reverse is it can not be opened a net in the command handling, just in a thread.

Of course I would need to know if destroyApp() is really called. I will try something on 6600..

Thanks
    tektronic

Regular Contributor
    Yes, the destroyApp() is called if default Exit key is pressed. This works on emulator S60. Still unsure if on real 7610.
    If somebody can help with this I would appreciate ..

Thanks

Regular Contributor
    I see nobody care about this subject ...
    No any idea, comment from you ...
    Having some interesting things about this problem I dont see why I should post the results here !? ..

Anyway, a beer for shmoove ..

Regards