Discussion Board

Question What Book to read?

Hi im a newbie in Symbian c++ programming.I have done programming in J2ME & i am comfortable with it.Can someone please guide me about which book to purchase for c++ development

1)Book must have many screenshots to give a better view of the application
    2)Good sample code to test on device to
    3)Ive seen Nokia series 60 & symbian book on the site but dono which is better

Please comment

Regular Contributor
    Both the Symbian and Series 60 books are pretty good - the Series 60 one is more aimed at that platform, as the general book is aimed at UIQ a little more. There are some aspects of Series 60 that don't appear in it. The only thing I didn't like about the Series 60 book is that it refers to the SDK documentation a lot - instead of explaining something fully, it would refer to the SDK docs, where sometimes the reason you buy the book is because the SDK docs aren't clear.

If in doubt, and you have the budget, buy both. I have made use of parts of both books. But the SDK docs are reasonable (and free), and I recall that you can download a lot of sample chapters and white papers covering many c++ subjects on Symbian.

Hi Trafcam,

Where can I get sample chapters for download ?

Thanks,
    Tom

Regular Contributor
    I can't find the various links now, but I just did a google search for 'Symbian c++ programming sample chapters' and got a few good pointers. Of course, with the samples there's never enough, but I must admit I got the bulk of my application working before I bought any of the books.

Thanks Trafcam.. that helps :) Have you worked with SIP ?

Tom

Regular Contributor
    No, sorry. I've heard the name but in fact I just had to download a presentation from Forum Nokia to figure out what it was. Sounds nice, but not for our products really.