Discussion Board

Unhappy switching GPRS off from java

Hi,

please forgive the dumb boss who's trying to give his development folks a hand. Our guys have figured out how to turn GPRS on from java (in 6600, 7610) , but now we can't see how to turn it off. This won't go down well with our users in Spain who could easily have to fork out 20€c per hour just to stay connected via GPRS
    If it's not possible in java, how about a native Symbian app?

thanks a lot
    Greg

Regular Contributor
    Hi,

Maybe this is usefull for you .. ?
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...threadid=60888

tektronic

Super Contributor

Re: switching GPRS off from java

This won't go down well with our users in Spain who could easily have to fork out 20€c per hour just to stay connected via GPRS
    When there's a GPRS connection active, but no data transferred, it shouldn't cost anything for users in Spain any more than users in other countries.

Or is there some operator who charges separately for that?

If so, which Spanish operator is doing that?

I haven't heard of any operator before that would charge 20 euros (or anything) per hour just for having an active GPRS connection without actually doing anything.

Anyway, that would be a very peculiar exception, because all operators I've ever encountered charge by the amount of data transferred (by the megabyte, usually), or a fixed/bulk fee with unlimited data (or a fixed fee up to a certain amount of data and after that by the megabyte).

Regular Contributor
    This is up to operator what to do and what & when to charge , even the GPRS is active an no data transfer is made.
    Also, this is not happening only in Spain.
    To solve this, I suggest after you close the Internet connection, let the user know the GPRS may still be active or just Exit completely from application.
    Of course, the above is not quite a good solution.

tektronic

thanks tektronic

we don't want to completely exit from the application, because after the GPRS is closed, we need to keep on providing other functionality.

On the GPRS charging .. please note the hourly amount quoted was in Euro cents not euros ...
    I don't want to single out Vodaphone in particular, because I suspect that such behaviour may be widespread, but they do make clear that under some contracts there is a charge per hour to stay connected to GPRS
    http://www.vodafone.es/Vodafone/Part...3,8775,00.html

(min charge 10Kb an hour @ 2cents/KB)