Discussion Board

etel3rdparty on Nokia 6680

Hi!
    Is there any information about working "Third Party Telephony" library on Nokia 6680?
    (currenlty there's no etel3rdparty.dll on device)
    Will it be available in future as adds-on?

Thank you

Nokia 6680 supports ETEL APIs. I am working on an application which plays sound during live voice call. My application checks for call incoming and call exits and performs this task using ETEL APIs.

data vs. voice

Voice call makes no problem at all. Problem happens if use RLine::KCapsData instead of RLine::KCapsVoice.
    In then case it said "Connection can not be established..".

Did you ever used CTelephony class on 6680? (etel3rdparty.dll) ?

Do you have such file on phone?

Thank you.

No etel3rdparty.dll is not present over the phone. I just looked over it.

I have a problem regarding Playing sound. I am trying to play sound in live voice call. It is working fine on all phone but giving problems on 6630/6680. Sound is not getting interjjected in live voice call. Do u have any idea?

sorry. not yet, I will work with sound API a little bit later. may be then we could discuss it

Re: etel3rdparty on Nokia 6680

yes, I'm curious about it too... etel3rdparty available in codewarrior 2ndk fp2, but in the help docs that came with the IDE, states that its for S60 3rd edition (symbian v9.1)... since 6680 built with symbian v8.. i don't think 6680 supports etel3rdparty.. but I hope someone could clarify that... thanks!

Regular Contributor

There was some discussion about this topic in this forum. I remember that someone said that the etel3rdparty dll was not available on the 6680 because of some stability problems on the device. It is available on S60 rel2 fp3 devices like the N90.

Bernd

Talking Re: etel3rdparty on Nokia 6680

I thought that was the case too... but i found the following information from the Nokia Technical Library:

ETEL Core APIs
    ETEL Core APIs (including RPhone, RLine, and RCall classes) provided by Symbian OS have been marked as deprecated in Symbian OS v8.0a and S60 2nd Edition, Feature Pack 2. While these deprecated APIs are still supported, developers are encouraged to start using the 3rd Party Telephony API (CTelephony) instead.

Telephony API
    The ETEL core architecture remains compatible, including RPhone, RLine, and RCall classes.

S60 2nd Edition includes some wrappers for Symbian OS v6.1 telephony components, such as RBasicGsmPhone::GetGsmPhoneId. These wrappers will be dropped in future releases.

Starting from S60 2nd Edition, access to telephony functionality and device IMEI/IMSI information was supposed to be provided by the ETEL third-party telephony library (etel3rdparty.dll, class CTelephony).

Note: There are some functionality issues with the ETEL third-party API and therefore it cannot currently be used in devices based on S60 2nd Edition. The issue is expected to be solved in future releases.

As a temporary solution, IMEI/IMSI information can be inquired using a GetMachineIdL method defined in a deprecated API plpvariant.h. Plpvariant.h is included in S60 2nd Edition devices (including FP1, FP2, or FP3 devices), and removed in S60 3rd Edition.
    -----

so I guess its supported but not for IMEI/IMSI information.....

ohz... btw did anyone manage to get the example working? provided in Codewarrior 2nd FP2 help: Symbian OS v9.1 » Symbian OS guide » Telephony » Using the Simple Telephony API » Network information

cos i can't!!!! any help?? heheh...

ohz .. ohz... people... I found something @ symbian site... I'm going to try now... hope it works...

Mobinfo 3rd Party Telephony Library
    http://www.symbian.com/developer/dow...s.html#mobinfo

Regular Contributor

CTelephony with support for get IMEI/IMSI and other information like cell-id is included in S60 rel2 fp2. So you can write an application which uses this API with this SDK.

The problem with fp2 devices like the 6680 is that the necessary dll is not on the device so the application using this API will not start on the 6680. I have a 6680 and tried it, so I'm sure that the dll is not on the device.

For getting the IMEI/IMSI it is possible to use plpvariant on all S60 rel2 devices.

Bernd

Question Re: etel3rdparty on Nokia 6680

actually I not certain I got what u mean... by saying "The problem with fp2 devices like the 6680 is that the necessary dll is not on the device so the application using this API will not start on the 6680".. this dll.. are you refering to Mobinfo api or etel 3rd party?

because of its mobinfo: I've read it somewhere in newlc forum that u need to have mobinfo.sis installed on the phone to get it work...

if its etel 3rd party, oh dear... then why did nokia recommend fp2 developers start using etel 3rd party? then you do happen to know how to get LAC on fp2 devices? i know it can be done... like celltrack.. i've tried to implement obtaining LAC based on the nokia's example... but my system would crash when I activate it on the phone...i'm using 6680 too... i don't think I've implemented the it properly anyway... cos I'm terrible with cactive..

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bernd42
    CTelephony with support for get IMEI/IMSI and other information like cell-id is included in S60 rel2 fp2. So you can write an application which uses this API with this SDK.

The problem with fp2 devices like the 6680 is that the necessary dll is not on the device so the application using this API will not start on the 6680. I have a 6680 and tried it, so I'm sure that the dll is not on the device.

For getting the IMEI/IMSI it is possible to use plpvariant on all S60 rel2 devices.

Bernd

Regular Contributor

It is the etel 3rd party dll. This dll is not on the 6680 and as far as I know there will be no fixpack which will make the dll available on this phone. That is why your application does not start on the 6680 at all.

I have not tried to use mobinfo, yet so I'm not able to say if it is working on the 6680.

It is possible to use the old deprecated way to get the cell information even on the 6680. This is done with RPhone and some other classes. It has been discussed a few time in this forum. The problem with this approach is that the notification of cell info changes does not work properly. When I tried to cancel the notification, my application just froze. Just a query should be fine, though.

Bernd