Discussion Board

Angry Runtime memory limits in Nokia phones

Hi everyone,

I have written an application that requires around 1Meg of runtime memory (accroding to Nokia simulators). This is the first cut and I am trying to refactor my code to get it running in lesser memory.
    Would anyone have a clue of what should be a reasonable size for runtime memory? I am looking for an estimate of the type "... about 80% nokia phones have 512K of runtime memory". I am aware of the fact that CLDC specifications require only 256K of runtime memory, but most phones have more than that.
    Any help in this matter would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Super Contributor
    MIDP 1.0 Series 40 usually have around 200KB, MIDP 2.0 Series 40 should have at least 512, and Series 60 and 80 have dynamically allocated heaps up to the free memory on the phone.

shmoove

Thanks for your reply. Would you have a rough idea of what fraction of phones would have less than 512K of runtime memory. Basically, I have come to a stage where I will have to compromise upon some cool features of my applications to be able to run on phones less than 512K. Would it be safe to assume these low end phones are not too popular and would soon go extinct

Super Contributor
    They are still quite popular. At least around here, models like 3100, 6100, 5100, and even 3510i are very common.

You shouldn't have to cripple your application for the rest of the phones though, just distribute two versions of the apps.

You can check the device list if you need to know all the models with 200K limits (you can filter only MIDP 1.0 or Series 40 in the list).

shmoove

Thanks for the reply.
    Another related question - about downloadable midlet size limits? I am using 64K as the limit for the lowest end phones (perhaps series 40, MIDP1). Are you aware of limits smaller than 64K? If so, again, roughly, what fraction of phones would not be able to load a 64K Midlet?
    Thanks in advance.

Super Contributor
    64K is a pretty safe number. There are phones with smaller limits, and I think there still might be operators that put a cap on the size of the downloads (so even if the phone can support bigger apps, the user can't download it). But most of the market will support at least 64K.

shmoove