Discussion Board

Question J2ME & Bluetooth - ad-hoc connections

Hello,
    I'm working on BT application based on J2ME/CLDC.
    I have a basic thing i don't understand and calling for you help:

So, my application has to work on the background.
    meaning it has to stay "silent" and wait for a BT connection.

During the silent / waiting time - i want to be able to run other j2me applications use the cell phone send sms and so on..

but ! when the connection is made, i want to make an ad-hoc connection and to wake up my application to start work.

as fat as i know j2me, it can not function of OS serivce or not terminated thread - so i'm not sure it is possible.

is there maybe on BT infrastrcture a way to initiate my application as a new connection is made ?

Thanks,
    Haggai

Hi,

it depends on which device you develope your MIDlet, on series 40 only one MIDlet can be actively running at the given time, however it is possible for a device to put event in front of running MIDlet ie. if you receive voice call, etc.
    on series 60 you can have multiple MIDlets and native app. running concurrently.

the 'pauseApp()' method enable you to put MIDlet into background

//

Tomasz

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply.

I found the PushRegistry class in J2ME that might help me register for events (as new BT connection arrives) and so - initiate my class when needed.

Has anyone got to work with it ? does it work on all handsets (MIDP 2.0 and above i mean) ?

Thanks,
    Haggai