Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry No BlueTooth Serial Profile on Nokia 6680 !

Hi all !
    I used to work and developp J2ME applications on nokia 6600, mainly based on BlueTooth GPS link...
    I finally just bought an brand new 6680 which was for me the best successor of 6600, moreover with its PIM API support and UMTS, 1Mpix camera.

I just discovered this day that no Serial Profile is present on BlueTooth stack !!!, so that no accessories with SPP profile could be link !! (e.g. an GPS receiver)

So, what about firmware, support ... please if you have informations !!!

And furthermore NOkia support !!

Soft V 2.04.15
    04-03-05
    RM-36

No BlueTooth Serial Profile on Nokia 6680 !

Hi!

I'm doing the same work now and I use 6600 and bluetooth-gps reciever and it works fine. But your problem looks very strange. Could you explain what methods have you done to detect this problem, becase RFCOMM is the second one after L2CAP, so what the Nokia left to us with their JSR 82??? Only L2CAP??? Again it looks strange, since if I correctlly understand L2CAP and RFCOMM are part of JSR82. Have you tried to get connection with other handsets over RFCOMM by your 6680? Did you tried to make service discovery of your 6680 with 0x0100 UUID? Did you get your device?
    Keep in touch pls, and share here your achivements in this point.

BR

Super Contributor
    I'm using an EMTAC Bluetooth GPS receiver with WayFinder on my 6680. No problems.

To petrib

Is your WayFinder software developed with Java API (MIDP) and JSR 82? If no, it is not reason for explanation, if yes - so there is no _probably_ mentioned in the topic problem.

Really strange ....

Hi all! Hi petrib & Fetfrumos ,o))

petrib: yep i could understand this (i must re-install this w-e TomTom and wayfinder ...to test)
    But, when I use Symbian (nokia) Bluetooth discovery, it find well my tomtom gps (but strangly askfor an pass code, while tomtom gps doesn't have...)

When i scan the 6680 from PC (with USB dongle) it only find Dial-up,OBEX (File and Push) and Headset Profiles, while on an 6600 there was additionaly Serial Port Profile !

But, conducting further search, i installed Python for Symbian (pretty good stuff...but it's not the discussion); With it u have an console that u can connect to ure PC via BlueTooth (for debugging or executing Python scripts on the 66XX from the PC) and it all run on the PC via HyperTerminal !!
    So an serial link is possible.

Fetfrumos: i will check further in my code how to establish an serial lnk from Java (by the way i was conducting it well on an 6600). Ive to re-check how i use L2CAP and or RFCOMM.

I'll refresh this thread with infos.

In conclusion Serial comunications seems possible from J2ME on an 6680 but not in a basic and simple way as in 6600 as the SPP profile isn't implemented.

Re: Really strange ....

I'll refresh this thread with infos.

In conclusion Serial comunications seems possible from J2ME on an 6680 but not in a basic and simple way as in 6600 as the SPP profile isn't implemented.
    We are having the exact same experience here.
    The PC finds BT serial port on the 6600, and not on the 6680.
    -AND-
    Our software is passing data via Bluetooth serial easily on the 6600. Meanwhile, doesn't go on the 6680.

What is going on? And more importanty, has anyone found a solution?

Regards,
    Ryan

Re: No BlueTooth Serial Profile on Nokia 6680 !

Hi @ all.

I'm having exactly the same problem. Wanted to program a PowerPoint remote control with J2ME, but the serial port profile (which I thought of as an solution) is just missing!

But I made another interesting experience with the 6680:
    I had the chance to test the Nokia bluetooth keyboard with my device; worked fine. But the required HID profile isn't shown either when connecting with WidComm software.

Any answers to these confusing facts?

Thx

Folks, why not using DUN? It is the same as SPP. Go for that.

Unhappy Re: No BlueTooth Serial Profile on Nokia 6680 !

Hi, dajeff69: Have you got the solution so far? I got the same problem like you. My j2me multi-player game running on 6680 is unable to HOST a game, rather it can JOIN another device (e.g. sonyericsson k750). Please help! Thanks!

traud: Could you please advise how to use DUN in j2me code?

Thanks for any other replies!

You do not need SPP or DUN if you connect two mobile phones running the same MIDlet. I guess you have created a BTSPP based service with your own UUID. Then you have either a coding problem on your MIDlet or a configuration problem.

Some things I observed with my Nokia 6680 being a 'server' (do not confuse with 'master'):
    – You cannot control the Bluetooth visibility from a MIDlet. The user has to turn on the visibility or the devices must have been paired.
    – Bluetooth events are delivered in the main event thread. Never ever block a Bluetooth event (callback or how you call it). If you do longer processing within the current thread, you have to create a new thread, otherwise you are blocking all events on the phone.

Thumbs down Re: No BlueTooth Serial Profile on Nokia 6680 !

MAYBE IF WE MOVE TO MOTOROLA OR SONY ERICSSON...
    this kind of problems are tipycal from nokia.
    For example, i found you can make serial BT connection with nokia 6021. so I started my project and spent the money but when i wanted to make a serial connection via cable (not BT cause i was developing a prototipe with standard 9-pin port).., SURPRISE! NOT IMPLEMENTED!!!

WHERE THE HELL IS THE DOC WITH A LIST OF NOT IMPLEMENTED FEATURES YOU CAN READ BEFORE YOU BUY?????

aNd try to make a complaint!!!! that´s also NOT IMPLEMENTED :-)))))

Nokia phones are good, but NO FOR DEVOLOPERS!!!
    that´s my experience,

Do you refer to Java MIDP CommConnection? You need at least a Sony Ericsson JP-7 model, Nokia Series 40 3rd Edition, etc. Do not know when it was introduced on the Symbian/S60, Symbian/UIQ models. No clue about Motorola.

What is your problem at all?

I want to do a similiar project, involving a GPS BlueTooth Antenna and a mobile, I have 6680. Found any solution?

What about JSR-82?

Hi ulairi,

Check the link below, it may help you.

Accessing GPS receiver from mobile phone via bluetooth
    http://www.hcilab.org/documents/tuto...GPS/BT_GPS.htm

BR,

Juarez Jr
    Juarez Alvares Barbosa Junior - Brazil