Discussion Board

6680 Problem - Data Disappears

I have recently bought the Nokia 6680, and I am facing a very strange problem with the memory card. The first time I faced a problem was when all the data that I had saved on the memory card (including images, messages and sound clips) got deleted on its own.

And today, the data again vanished from the gallery, and the personal folders that I had created in gallery are now showing 0 files. At first I thought that the data has got erased again, but when I accessed the memory card through file manager, the files are there. But they are not showing up in the gallery, where I have kept the default memory as the memory card.

I am able to access the sound clips and videos through the file manager, but the images folder is not opening. I have nearly 65-70 images stored in that folder. Is the folder size the reason why I am not able to access that particular folder.

Or is there a problem with the Nokia 6680, that the gallery is behaving in a very weird way. Sometimes the data is getting deleted, and at other times, the gallery shows no data, even though some of it is accessible through the file manager application. Is there any solution to rectify this problem?

Please help.

U are not alone, I have the same problems with my 6680. First time I lost all my SMS
    and now I twice lost all my images on MMC.
    We have a german forum for 6680 users and nearly all have the same problems,
    but no onecan solve this damn problem. U can try to find your images by using a
    card reader, sometimes this could work.

If someone knows, how to manage this problem, please tell!

Super Contributor
    Try a different memory card; I'm using a Kingston 256MB DV RS-MMC card and I haven't lost anything (been using it extensively for about 3 months now).

Super Contributor

Re: 6680 Problem - Data Disappears

Originally posted by gagankaul
    I have recently bought the Nokia 6680, and I am facing a very strange problem with the memory card. The first time I faced a problem was when all the data that I had saved on the memory card (including images, messages and sound clips) got deleted on its own.

And today, the data again vanished from the gallery, and the personal folders that I had created in gallery are now showing 0 files. At first I thought that the data has got erased again, but when I accessed the memory card through file manager, the files are there. But they are not showing up in the gallery, where I have kept the default memory as the memory card.

I am able to access the sound clips and videos through the file manager, but the images folder is not opening. I have nearly 65-70 images stored in that folder. Is the folder size the reason why I am not able to access that particular folder.

Or is there a problem with the Nokia 6680, that the gallery is behaving in a very weird way. Sometimes the data is getting deleted, and at other times, the gallery shows no data, even though some of it is accessible through the file manager application. Is there any solution to rectify this problem?

Please help.
    This is totally a MMC issue. If you haven´t used MMC card and stored photos on the device memory nothing will dissappeared. This must be some huge manufacture problem with the MMC cards. We have had approximately 50 customers in our store with exactly same problems as you described.

Try using Memory Card Reader, do a File System scan using Windows's Buildin Scandisk OR Check Disk, even Norton Disk Doctor. Scan the memory card for possible problem.

Also, Use the PC to Format the Memory Card. There has been some known problem with the Phone's buildin Memory Card Format System. Although it is not official a solution, but is worth a try.

The MMC data are not lost. With file manager you can see the data saved in MMC. If you whant open the Images cartel the device are locked. With an MMC reader you can see all the data saved and you can transfer these in a PC (if you use the PC Suite You can retransfert all the data in device). After that you have to format MMC by the phone (only). Now the MMC and the device working properly

Re: 6680 Problem - Data Disappears

My suggestion is to Use a disk utility to scan the memory card, and you will sure find that there is some problem with the MMC file system, I am using the supplied MMC, and facing the problem.... Using the disk utility, it will help you to find the "lost files" and save it as *.CHK. Just rename it to the correct extension. Remember to set your Windows Explorer to "View All Hidden and System Files". Personnally, I am using Norton Disk Doctor.