Discussion Board

runtime switching midp1 & midp2 code

Basically, I need to switch between two canvases. One for midp 1.0 using nokia ui api, and the other is full canvas provided by midp2.0

Is it possible to run a code on the phone that detects midp2.0 and use corresponding canvas ?

I know how to detect midp version. What I am asking is if it is possible in a class loader / jvm point of view. I have read some messages that class loader must load all the classes that is referenced in the application before running the application. Does it depend on phone model/firmware ?

Thanks in advance.

MB

Super Contributor
    You can use Class.forName() and Class.newInstance() to discover what classes are supported and instantiate the appropiate canvas.

You can see an example in Nokia's own Block Game.

shmoove

bug in class.forname

I woudl use System.getProperty("microedition.profiles")
    - to test for the MIDP version.

Unfortunately Class.forname("xxx"); will only throw an ClassNotFoundException, if the name startswith "com.nokia..xxxxx" Anything else, e.g. like:
    Class.forname("javax.microedition.io.SocketConnection");
    or
    Class.forName("javax.microedition.media.Player");
    will NOT throw ClassNotFoundException or any other exceptions...The program breaks down with this message:
    "cannot create class in system package" ....

Cervera

Super Contributor
    The program gives you the "cannot create class in system package" because somewhere you have an import statement or an explicit instantiation of the unsupported class.

shmoove