Discussion Board

Series 80 Choicegroup bug

ChoiceGroup is broken on the Series 80 platform! This almost makes developing complex UI applications for this platform useless. To whit: if you add a ChoiceGroup to a form, your Command actions disappear. Here's a simple example:

import javax.microedition.lcdui.*;
    import javax.microedition.midlet.*;

public class ButtonTest extends MIDlet
    implements CommandListener {

public static final Command EXIT_CMD = new Command("Exit",Command.EXIT,5);
    public static final Command C1_CMD = new Command("No1",Command.SCREEN,1);
    public static final Command C2_CMD = new Command("No2",Command.SCREEN,1);
    public static final Command C3_CMD = new Command("No3",Command.SCREEN,1);
    public static final Command C4_CMD = new Command("No4",Command.SCREEN,1);

TestForm form;
    public ButtonTest() {
    form = new TestForm("This is a test");
    form.setCommandListener(this);
    form.addCommand(C1_CMD);
    form.addCommand(C2_CMD);
    form.addCommand(C3_CMD);
    form.addCommand(C4_CMD);
    }

public void startApp() {
    Display.getDisplay(this).setCurrent(form);
    }

public void pauseApp() {
    }

public void destroyApp(boolean b) {
    }

class TestForm extends Form {
    public TestForm(String s) {
    super(s);
    StringItem stringitem = new StringItem("Hello World01","This is a Test");
    append(stringitem);

ChoiceGroup choicegroup = new ChoiceGroup("Does this work?",ChoiceGroup.POPUP,new String[] { "Yes", "No" }, null);
    append(choicegroup);
    }
    }

public void commandAction(Command c, Displayable d) {
    System.out.println("Button Pressed");
    }
    }

You'll notice that this simple UI puts 4 commands on the form, right? Well, if you run it, ZERO commands are displayed on a platform 80 device. But if you comment out the "append(choicegroup)" the form is displayed correctly.

I've wasted two days tracking down this bug (Forum didn't help if you don't know what you're looking for)--and someone had reported a similar problem in DECEMBER! And still it's not fixed?!

I'm hoping someone else out there has run into this problem and found a suitable workaround. No, ChoiceGroup.EXCLUSIVE wouldn't help (it doesn't work anyway).

I see you are using the Series 80 SDK. Are you able to change the Security Domain to other than Untrusted? In our Emulator it crashes every time and we see no way to solve it.

Thanks for your sharing.

Unfortunatelly, with the crashes we are not able to test yet the choicegrup problem... that will come soon :-(

Re: Series 80 Choicegroup bug

I can confirm I've encountered this same issue on an actual Nokia 9300 Series 80 device.

It's a shame as it really is frustrating, does anyone know if a fix is available for this yet? I can't test on the S80 emulator as that crashes my machine (as in resets it)!

Unhappy Re: Series 80 Choicegroup bug

Wow, you mean ChoiceGroup kills the Commands on the actual 9500 device and not just on an emulator?!

I was thinking of developing for the Series 80 (i.e., 9500) but this sort of extremely crippling bug... that goes unfixed... and Nokia's lousy technical support and customer treatment (according to my research)... I am now very, very dubious about getting involved with Nokia.

We don't have a 9500 to test but certainly the bug is there on a 9300, which does run the same version of Symbian, so I would expect it to be there on a 9500 as well. I do think that maybe Nokia have a tendency to rush out the latest Java features without enough testing and bug fixing!

I have this but on Communicator 9500, too.
    Is there still no fix available? (There are quite a lot of posts reporting this error.)

Regular Contributor

I solved it:U re right about vanishing commands... but they appear on the MENU - to soled it I clace only one Command.STOP which shows a list of options - and it works pretty fine for me the navigation is more complex but after all the application did recevie Java Verified Sign

:-)

Hope That helps
    Mchmielewski

I may be a bit stupid, but I don't really understand how you solved this problem... Can you explain your solution a bit more ?...

Thanx.

Quote Originally Posted by melas21
    I solved it:U re right about vanishing commands... but they appear on the MENU - to soled it I clace only one Command.STOP which shows a list of options - and it works pretty fine for me the navigation is more complex but after all the application did recevie Java Verified Sign

:-)

Hope That helps
    Mchmielewski

You need to add the command to the choicegroup, then it will show up on the right hand side at the next softkey available.

I have the same problem.
    Unfortunatelly I'm working with MIDP 1.0 and I can't add the command to the ChoiceGroup.

Does anybody know how to solve this problem?

Thanks,
    Matteo