Discussion Board

error PRJ0019: when building example in studio.net 2003

I had installed the the NDS and use the SDK S60 V 2.0 FP2, FP3.

When i run the Helloworkbasic example, I can use

makmake helloworldbasic.mmp vc7

to build the solution and project files.

But when i build i met this problem:

error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code from "Building resources from Helloworldbasic_caption.rss"

anyone knows how to solve it?

Thank you!

is there any soloution

hello
    if u hv solved it plz inform me i m having same problem

That is the environment parameter's problem.

fix your Visual Studio.net 2003 settings by selecting Tools | Options | Projects | Visual C++ Directories.

Add C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\vc\bin.

you can try first.

I also get the same Error on creating an empty Nokia Symbian Project and compiling it

-----

Updating VideoEdit.mmp based on Deb_S60_23_WINSCW
    Update of mmp file not needed
    WINS (emulator) build
    ------ Build started: Project: VideoEdit, Configuration: Deb_S60_23_WINSCW Win32 ------

Performing Pre-Build Event...
    * Current build configuration: WINSCW UDEB
    Converting multi-icons...
    Compiling resources...
    epocroot = \Program Files\Symbian\
    * C:\Program Files\Symbian\epoc32\gcc\bin\cpp.exe -undef -C -I C:\Nokia\VideoEdit\VideoEdit\group -I C:\Nokia\VideoEdit\VideoEdit\inc -I C:\Nokia\VideoEdit\VideoEdit\group -I "C:\Program Files\Symbian\\epoc32\include" -I "C:\Program Files\Symbian\\Epoc32\include" -I "C:\Program Files\Symbian\epoc32\include\oem" -DLANGUAGE_SC -D_UNICODE -D__S60_V28__ -DS60_V28 -D__S60_2ND_FP3__ -DS60_2ND_FP3 -D_UNICODE -D__SYMBIAN32__ -D__WINSCW__ -DWINSCW -D__WINS__ -DWINS -D__CW32__ -D__DLL__ C:\Nokia\VideoEdit\VideoEdit\data\VideoEdit.rss -o C:\Nokia\VideoEdit\VideoEdit\data\VideoEdit.rss.I
    epocroot = \Program Files\Symbian\
    * C:\Program Files\Symbian\epoc32\tools\rcomp.exe -u "-oC:\Program Files\Symbian\Epoc32\release\winscw\UDEB\z\system\apps\VideoEdit\VideoEdit.rSC" -hC:\Nokia\VideoEdit\VideoEdit\group\VideoEdit.rsg.new -sC:\Nokia\VideoEdit\VideoEdit\data\VideoEdit.rss.I -iC:\Nokia\VideoEdit\VideoEdit\data\VideoEdit.rss
    uidcrc <uid1> <uid2> <uid3> [ <outputfile> ]
    Failed to write UIDs to C:\Program Files\Symbian\Epoc32\release\winscw\UDEB\z\system\apps\VideoEdit\VideoEdit.rSC
    ERROR: RCMake failed: (Resources): rcomp.exe failed with code -1
    Project : error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code from "Performing Pre-Build Event..."

Build log was saved at "file://c:\Nokia\VideoEdit\VideoEdit\Deb_S60_23_WINSCW\BuildLog.htm"
    VideoEdit - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

---------------------- Done ----------------------

I tried the solution suggested but that does not seem to work. Do I need to configure / install something else?

depends on the studio install directory:

select Tools | Options | Projects | Visual C++ Directories.

Add C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\vc7\bin.
    Add C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Common7\IDE

Infact, I added these directories only.

Still, the problem is there. But figured a work around. If I import the project into vc7 it compiles. If I create a blank project, and try to compile it, it does not. But if I save and close the blank project and import it, it compiles!

Things work.. but its a lil' strange. Though, it is not a blocker now, does anyone have ny idea why this happens?

Super Contributor
    Hi deepthi_singh;

The issue you are seeing is not related to the VS compiler path (infact the FP3 SDK doesn't even use it), the issue is related to the earlier resource compilation step.

To analyse the problem I would need to know what template you use to create the project? Does the error occur immediately after project creation or have you modifed/added code between project creation and compilation? Are you using the FP3 final or beta SDK?

Hi mitts,

The following are the answers to your questions:

Template: "S60 View based application"
    Modification: NONE (immediate compilation)
    Using: FP3 Finale

Super Contributor
    Hi,

I cannot reproduce the problem. Is it possible that you have your application open in the terminal emulator? That could cause the problem you are seeing. If you do, just close the emulator and try to build.

Re: error PRJ0019: when building example in studio.net 2003

Did anybody have a resolution to this problem. I am having a similar error while compiling the resources.
    Its trying to copy the rsg file from one location to another folder location like this
    $(EPOCROOT)\epoc32\include;$(EPOCROOT)\epoc32\include\oem\xyz.rsg
    this is failing i suppose. how do i resove this?

Super Contributor

Hi,

Let's get back to these resource issues and see if we can resolve them.

When resources are compiled, the output is moved to the emulator target directory under the selected SDK. This is the same directory that is used by the emulator when running the applications.

You would get errors in the resource compilation step if:
    - You had the emulator up and running the application being built, as the emulator will open the resources files and lock them so that the build process cannot update them. To fix this, simply close the emulator while building.
    - If for some reason you do not have write access to the SDK directory trees (under C:/symbian/... if you have installed the SDKs in the default directories), this will prevent the resource compilation. This could happen if someone else installed the SDK on the machine or if you had admin rights only while installing NDS, for a default setup you need admin rights also to use NDS.

Hi Mitts,

I had the same or simliar problem. Here is my environment setup:

Active Perl 5.8.7.813 (ActivePerl-5.8.7.813-MSWin32-x86-148120)
    J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 4
    Series 60 3rd Ed. SDK for Symbian OS
    CodeWarrior for Symbian OS, v3.1

I do not have any other SDK installed nor Visual Stuido.

I use helloworldbasic as a template to create MyApp. I also changed the UID to avoid any conflict. I compiled it with CodeWarrior and it runs on emulator okay (although the emulator sometimes crash).

Problem:
    I added a resource of a dialog and compile in CW 3.1 again. Then rcomp.exe crashed. In CW 3.1 it shows:

Error: Symbian Resource - * RCOMP failed - deleting output files
    Error: Compile failed

If I remove that dialog nothing goes wrong. Would you help me please? Thanks.

Here is my dialog:

//----------------------------------------------------
    // r_message_query_back
    //----------------------------------------------------
    RESOURCE DIALOG r_message_query_back
    {
    flags = EGeneralQueryFlags | EEikDialogFlagNoBorder | EEikDialogFlagNoShadow;
    buttons = R_AVKON_SOFTKEYS_BACK;
    items=
    {
    DLG_LINE
    {
    type = EAknCtPopupHeadingPane;
    prompt = "";
    id = EAknMessageQueryHeaderId;
    control = AVKON_HEADING
    {
    };
    },
    DLG_LINE
    {
    type = EAknCtMessageQuery;
    prompt = "";
    id = EAknMessageQueryContentId;
    control = AVKON_MESSAGE_QUERY
    {
    };
    }
    };
    }

luke

...a possible solution...
    carbide vs with S602ndFP3b

hello fellow....s

i had a similar problem after step 4 of "Classic S60 view based application...".

1. make sure you do not change folder location of your symbian project (keep it where the sdk is). this goes for any image folders aswell (if you use any for icon making purposes).
    2. also make sure you have your paths of your project folders and images (if you use any for icon making purposes) without any spaces.
    3. keep your images in the same directory as your project folders
    4. name your .bmp image the way the .mbm is named (before importing of course).---->don't know whether this matters!!! safety first, anyway

A CORRECTION TO MY EARLIER POST

i had the problem after step 4 of section 4.3 of "The Classic Series S60 View based..."

sorry for the newby looking solution to the problem. i'm actually a newby to this line of work. hope it is useful...

good luck...

Super Contributor

Hi Luke,

I'm no expert on CodeWarrior, there is a separate CW discussion group, suggest you post your question there.