Discussion Board

Codewarrior: How to compile my program?

Hi!

Being a novice at Symbian programming, I can't seem to figure out how to compile the helloworld program given in the examples. Can anyone kindlyt outline a detailed step-by-step guide to help me out with compiling this program? I have been assigned a pretty complex project already and given my strict set of target deadlines, I really need some quick help here! Some kind folks, please help me!!

Regards,

Omar

Nokia Developer Expert
    The helloworld program should include a makmake project file (.mmp) somewhere in the folder. In CodeWarrior, go to the File menu and select "Import project from .mmp file" to convert this file into a CodeWarrior project. Once it's converted you should be able to build and run the WINSCW UDEB target, which should come up with "Hello world" in the emulator.

For more info on creating and building CodeWarrior projects please check the CodeWarrior for Symbian OS online documentation. Select Help->CodeWarrior Documentation, and under the Contents tab expand Symbian OS Development. CodeWarrior for Symbian OS will be the first folder there.

Regards,

Matt Pinsonneault
    Nokia Developer Support

doesn't run!

Dear Matt,

I did exactly the same as you said; namely imprted the .mmp file "helloworld" and typed WINSCW UDEB as the target platform but it gives me an error still saying "Failed to run makmake. System error: the system cannot find the file specified." What do you think could be the problem? Thanks and looking for a quick reply here

Nokia Developer Expert
    The most likely reason for that error is a problem with your Perl installation. Do you have ActivePerl installed? If not, you can download it here:

http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/?mp=1

Regards,

Matt Pinsonneault
    Nokia Developer Support

Ok it asks me to enter "top level directory to install c:\perl." What do I enter? Can it be any folder name or a specific path name? I know this has to do with the Codewarrior IDE but what filename for Codewarrior do i provide? Also, it says run vcvars32.bat to make sure my IDE is set before installing ActivePerl. But I typed vcvars32.bat in the DOS box and it gives some error... confused really... hope you can help me out with this... thanks in advance.
    Last edited by omarbilal; 2005-05-27 at 22:43.

Also, i gave a new folder name C:\Perl for installing the Perl files and that's what the system actually did. It also asked if I wanted to include the pathname in the IDE... i entered yes. But even now, when I try compiling the example it gives the same error as initially! pheww...

Nokia Developer Expert
    The Perl installer knows nothing about CodeWarrior; they are separate products.

If you go out to a command prompt and type "perl" what happens? Also, what SDK do you have installed?

Regards,

Matt Pinsonneault
    Nokia Developer Support