Discussion Board

Question Reading files from MMC

My cell phone is 6230
    I'm programming an aplication that reads and displays text files that are part of the jar file. For that I use this instruction:
    getResourceAsStream
    My problem is that the files that I want to read are big, and I want them to be saved in MMC card. I know my application can't be installed in MMC card but at least I'd like to read the files from there.
    (I'm programming a Bible reader)
    Is this possible? Is there anothes suggestion?

Thanks on advance

By the way I'm using Netbeans . Should I work with other tool?

Just to put this topic up,

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

You dont

The only way to access the device's file system is through File Access API (JSR-75). You can do this only if your device supports this API. AFAIK, 6230 does not support it.

-vlad

Re: You dont

Originally posted by jenium
    The only way to access the device's file system is through File Access API (JSR-75). You can do this only if your device supports this API. AFAIK, 6230 does not support it.

-vlad
    Thanks Vlad,
    Does that mean that I'll be never able to use big files in the applications that I develop for my 6230?

That's sad

Regular Contributor
    The JSR-75 is not implemented on Nokia 6230

Mobile Movie DB

Please check this source:
    http://moritzpost.de/blog/

I believe the Mobile Movie Database application does exactly that, which you ask.
    To let it work you install the jar file on your phone - the normal way with the application installer.
    Additionally you have to download the Internet Movie Database (IMDB) ratings database file (6MB) and place it on your MMC in a predesignated directory.
    Finally when you start the application on your phone, it asks you if it can access the database file from MMC, and uses this file without any problems.
    It works on a 6230i, so this model supports API JSR-75. Maybe you can use this application to test if your 6230 supports the API aswell.

---Edited---
    Okay, I did some more research:
    6230i supports two more API's than the 6230.
    • File Connection and PIM API (JSR-75)
    • Mobile 3D Graphics API (JSR-184)
    So I guess conclusion is the same as what everyone has been saying all along in this thread... no support for 6230.
    Last edited by sirdaf; 2005-06-09 at 10:42.