Discussion Board

RE: User interface issues

> 2. How do I create and manipulate a multipage dialog (such as the tabs)?

You can build your own tabbed control by using a Card Layout do display the contents of a tab and a java.awt.Button to be used as the tab. It'll look a bit ugly but i'm sure you can give it a better look :)

User interface issues

1. How do I display the applications name and icon in the indicator area?
    2. How do I create and manipulate a multipage dialog (such as the tabs)?
    3. How do I display Note windows (ie windows without title bar)?
    4. How can we set short-cut key to bring a background application to foreground, through java application or using EPOC's built-in features?

1. There is no built-in method to show application's name and icon in the indicator area (i.e. status pane). The size of the status pane can be changed (check the SDK's example app CBADemo)

2. In Java2 this can be done by using Swing Container called JTabbedPane, but they are not included in PersonalJava and JDK1.1.8.

3. One can use AWT Container called Window. There is no titlebar or menu in Window.

4. One way is to use java.awt.Component class' Focus related methods (requestFocus etc.) and controlling these events with KeyListener or CBAListener.

> How can we set short-cut key to bring a background application to foreground, through java application or using EPOC's built-in features?

Symbian's Quartz 6.1 SDKs for Java provide a custom Java class TaskSwitch which provides methods allowing an arbitrary task to be brought from the background and for a Java app to find out if it is in the foreground or not. As this class is JNI-based, the accompanying DLL will need to be (re-)built specifically for the target hardware.