Discussion Board

Question Audio Streaming Example on Forum Nokia

Hi,

I downloaded the audio streaming example from Forum Nokia and compiled it. The application, when compiled using Dev Platform 2nd Ed (7.0s) and transferred to a Nokia 6600 phone, works fine. I am able to record and play back audio using the CMdaAudioInputStream and CMdaAudioOutputStream classes.

When this is compiled using Dev Platform 2nd Ed, FP2 (8.0a) and transferred to a Nokia 6630 phone, the application fails. I am only able to play the audio once. If I select the Record option, then I will never be able to play it back.

I did see a couple of posts regarding this issue in the discussion forum, but nothing that could throw light on this.

Has anyone else came across the same issue? Is there a workaround?

Thanks in advance,
    Sandeep
    --
    [url]http://sandeep.weblogs.us/[/url]

6630 solutions

Hi,

I encountered a couple of problems using AudioStreamExample on 6630.

The first is that on 6630 you cannot perform 2 playbacks in sequence. I solved it destroing and constructing the output stream object every time (sad but true).

The second problem is about recording. I don't know why but in 6600 the buffer size is 11200 bytes and the example works well. On 6630 the buffer size is 320 bytes. So a solution should be to increase the number of buffers used. I use 60 buffers and finally I can record something.

\Davide.

I've been looking at audio streaming for the 6630 and there appears to be a major limitation. For some reason, there is a limit to the buffer size that can be supplied to the media server of 320 bytes and a maximum of 3 buffers can be queued at the server. The code happily lets you define a larger buffer but if you check the length of the buffer received in the MaiscBufferCopied callback, it will be a maximum of 320 bytes. You can also specify as many buffers as you like, but only 3 will get queued at the media server, the rest will be queued in the application. Does anyone know why this limitation exists or if there is any workaround for it? This is for Series 60 FP2 (8.0a) builds.

This limitiation did not exist in Series 60 7.0s builds which I have confirmed on a 6600. The Nokia audio streaming example specifies 3 buffers of 11200 bytes (700ms at 8kHz mono). This works fine on the 6600. The example is a bit limited in that it only records until the buffers are filled once, so gives you 2.1s of recording. On the 6630, the buffer returned is only 320 bytes which is 20ms so you get a max of 60ms recording. You could specifiy more buffers or reuse the buffers to give a longer recording period. However, this does not address the real issue.

The maximum of 60ms streaming is not sufficient for the 6630 to ensure that you do not lose any audio. I have tested an audio application that streams input and it constantly loses audio. The phone is often performing other processes and is unable to service the buffer callbacks quickly enough to ensure that live audio streaming is uninterrupted. This leads to hundreds of milliseconds of lost audio at a time, happening every few seconds. I have set the active objects and the audio stream to the highest possible priorities. The application works fine on the 6600 with no loss of audio integrity.

I can't find any documentation specifying that there is an audio streaming limit of 3 x 320 byte buffers - has anyone come across such a document? Is this a bug or a deliberate design feature? Is this going to be fixed in later Series 60 builds? Help!

Regular Contributor

Re: Audio Streaming Example on Forum Nokia

Iam trying to make the audio streaming example work on Nokia 3230, but unable to find the buffer size and number of buffers. The default buffer size of 11200 bytes is not working....

Can someone help me...

Thanks,

regards,
    VVS.Naresh
    --

Regular Contributor

Notice the new audio streaming example on FN which has solved these issues.

Regular Contributor

Can somebody tell me the URL where i can download the audio streaming example cos i looked it up on google but it shows a "Not Found" web page.

Thank you very much

Regular Contributor

Regular Contributor

Thank you, but again it shows the same page... like the resourse is not in the server anymore

Regular Contributor

Funny, works for me. Try refreshing the page if it's in your cache...

Super Contributor

hi All,

Forum Nokia is updating its download section and they are still working on it.

The links have been changed so plz have patience as the July is Holiday season in Finland .Plz have patience untill nokia gives a green signal for all the links and updation of the site information.

Regards,
    Mateen Maldar
    "Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve"

Regular Contributor

Thanx anyway pkosonen....i'll be waiting for updation