Discussion Board

Series60 SDK Feature Pack 3 - getting User 11 panic

I've tried compiling and running HelloWorld in latest Series60 SDK FP3 (beta). I
    try run in emulator, but as soon as my app creates document class, the app is
    ended with User 11 panic.
    The same app works fine in previous SDK version.

Is someone successfully running emulator in this latest SDK? Do you get same
    error?
    Thanks

Nokia Developer Champion

USER 11

http://www.symbian.com/developer/tec...#Panics%2euser

This panic is raised when any operation that moves or copies data to a 16 bit variant descriptor, causes the length of that descriptor to exceed its maximum length. It may be caused by any of the copying, appending or formatting member functions and, specifically, by the Insert(), Replace(), Fill(), Fillz() and ZeroTerminate() descriptor member functions. It can also be caused by the SetLength() function. See TDes16.

I can find User 11 panic description in documentation!

As I write, this happens even before my application is doing anything. It surely doesn't work with descriptors yet, when the crash happens.

Question Re: Series60 SDK Feature Pack 3 - getting User 11 panic

Hi,

I am experiencing the same problem but on the third edition (beta) of the Series60 SDK.

Using the debugger I have found that the panic occurs between the call to AppDllUid() and the call to CreateDocumentL().

Since these two methods are called by the framework then I have no visibility into what is going on in between these two calls.

I figured out that since this problem occurred on previous SDKs and the last post on this thread is a few month old that may be a "cure" has been found to this issue.

Thanks in advance for any answer or thread I could follow.

Regular Contributor

Unhappy Re: Series60 SDK Feature Pack 3 - getting User 11 panic

All I can conribute is a 'me too' message. I just ran into exactly the same problem.

I checked all the strings I defined in the resources and compared the resources with HelloWorldBasic but I still have no lue where that User11 ist coming from.

Best Regards,
    Bernd

Re: Series60 SDK Feature Pack 3 - getting User 11 panic

I found reason of problem a while ago:
    I use MSVC6 for Symbian development, while FP3 SDK is designed only for Metrowerks compiler. If you compile in MSVC and try to run in CW emulator (those in release\winscw\udeb folder), your app won't run. MSVC and Metrowerks C++ compilers are nearly compatible, but they order virtual function table differently, so emulator calls incorrect virtual method on your app class, which causes the unexpected User11 panic.

Big shame that Symbian (Nokia) dropped support for MSVC in new SDK's. I don't plan switching to Metrowerks compiler/IDE only because Nokia did, there're still ways how to use MSVC and FP3 SDK at same time, but there're many hacks to make it work.
    So you guys can get used to Metrowerks compiler, or use older SDK, or find a compiling trick as I did.

Regular Contributor

Thanks for the hint, but my problem seems to be a bit different. I'm using CW and the 3rd edition beta SDK and there should not be this kind of issue. Compiling and running the HelloWorldBasic example works just fine.

Regards,
    Bernd

Talking Re: Series60 SDK Feature Pack 3 - getting User 11 panic

Quote Originally Posted by mike.b
    I found reason of problem a while ago:
    I use MSVC6 for Symbian development, while FP3 SDK is designed only for Metrowerks compiler. If you compile in MSVC and try to run in CW emulator (those in release\winscw\udeb folder), your app won't run. MSVC and Metrowerks C++ compilers are nearly compatible, but they order virtual function table differently, so emulator calls incorrect virtual method on your app class, which causes the unexpected User11 panic.
    Big thanks for the answer Mike. It looks like the User 11 I am getting is not caused by the same problem. I am using Code Warrior all the way for my application. I can even debug the application to some extent before it miserably explodes :o(.

Quote Originally Posted by mike.b
    Big shame that Symbian (Nokia) dropped support for MSVC in new SDK's. I don't plan switching to Metrowerks compiler/IDE only because Nokia did, there're still ways how to use MSVC and FP3 SDK at same time, but there're many hacks to make it work.
    So you guys can get used to Metrowerks compiler, or use older SDK, or find a compiling trick as I did.
    Nokia is planning to support Visual Studio still, however there is no support so far for VS during the beta SDKs. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Cheers

For a solution to this problem check Series60 Rel3 and User 11 Panic caused by UID post from Bernd42.