Discussion Board

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

play video/audio clips while talking in an active call

Hello,

thanks in advance.
    We would like create a Symbian C++ application to play multimedia clip (audio and/or video) files, which could let the user play multimedia clips while he is talking in an active phone call.
    We tried with Nokia phones and you can open and execute embedded applications while you are in an active call.
    However, an error message is displayed, requesting to finish the active call before playing the clip video/audio file.

Is it possible to create such an application in Symbian, that is, an application that lets the user play clips while a call is active?

Best Regards,
    Ignacio

Regular Contributor

Re: play video/audio clips while talking in an active call

hi,
    I dont think that can be done.
    and even if it is possible it is not advisable to do so because the telephony app is the one with the highest priority and hence it must be given the needed resources for it without disturbing it.
    I have seen that u can keep playing ur audio files when the call is coming in and even when the ring tone has started. the file will still keep playing but once u attend the call ur app will lose its control over the audio hardware and hence u cannot proceed further. only think that can be done is to resume after the call. thats what the existing platform apps does.
    with regards,
    Hemanth.

Nokia Developer Moderator

I would say that it should be doable, but only with 1st & 2nd edition phones. Most likely the problems encountered are with the audio playing part, so check the 'known issues' documentation as well as some discussions easrlier in this forum for solutions.

Basically you need to increase priority & change some other flags to get the audio playing. video itself shouldn't be problematic.

yucca

Super Contributor

I dont think so this can be achived, as Incoming calls the Priority is high as compared to your Video Application Priority. Since when ever you get the incoming call then you need to handle that particular incoming call, in return you all need to Stop the Video Application till the call has been Answered, Well After that then you can resume you
    Video Application.

If you will still try to achive the both the activites simultaneously, then I think your
    Application may get Stuck (I am not sure)

regards,
    eswar
    Last edited by eswar_illuri; 2006-05-19 at 06:04.

not it will not get stuck, you can change priorities with 1st & 2nd edition pretty easily, and overwrite most of the system behaviour, please try it out before saying that it is impossible...

yucca

Regular Contributor

Hi symbianyucca,

i want to play audio files to the uplink of a connected call. How to do it on 3rd ed devices? I have the capability MultimediaDD which should make me able to set priorities. But which one to use?

Currently i receive a error of -21 (KerrAccessDenied) shortly after starting to play. I have set my priority to (Using CMdaAudioRecorderUtility as player):

iVoicePlayer = CMdaAudioRecorderUtility::NewL(*this, NULL, EAvkonRecordingTonesPriority, (TMdaPriorityPreference)EAknAudioPrefVoiceRec);

Do you think I should use something else?
    Does anybody have sucessfully played to the telephony uplink?

Many thanks for any answer,

Marcel

Nokia Developer Expert

Well these chaps made it work http://razz.com/getrazz.php on phones up to S60 2nd FP3

Hi BillBonney

yep, playing audio on 2nd edition is not really a challenge at all. Anyway, I was told by pro-support that it is not possible to play audio on uplink for 3rd edition devices without special vendor -ID, anyway, by looking inot a advanced call management applications, that can do this, and with zero as a vendor-id, I'm feeling a bit cheated.

Just wondering, as you are Forum nokia Expert, could you shed some light on this issue on how to get rid of the -21 error on 3 EDITION devices.

Basically it would be nice to hear what is actually required.

yucca

Nokia Developer Expert

Indeed you correctly need the MultimediaDD capability. You also need a Developer Certificate that has ACS Publisher ID with phone manufacturer approval.

AFAIU you don't need a special 'vendor-id' just a developer cert that allows access to the multimediaDD.

see page 10 & 11 this quick reference guide form Symbian

http://www.symbian.com/developer/boo...gning_Tips.pdf

Hope this helps
    Last edited by billbonney; 2006-07-12 at 19:33.

Thanks a lot, you might just saved two of my projects on going to waste.

yucca

Regular Contributor

BillBonney, Yucca,

have you read the latest Known Issues by Nokia? For me this looks like playing to the uplink is not possible at all for now:

(From the Nokia Page: http://www.forum.nokia.com/Technical...al_library.htm)

This is a show-stopper for part of our app too.

br, Marcel

8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Audio routing limitations on S60 3rd Edition KIS000347

Overview 3rd-party applications cannot control audio routing or mix audio with an active voice call on S60 3rd Edition.

Reported against S60 3rd Edition

Date identified July 7, 2006

Symptoms -

Detailed description 3rd-party applications on S60 3rd Edition have some limitations in their audio routing capabilities. For example, for VoIP applications the voice will be directed only to the loudspeaker and not to the earpiece because all 3rd-party audio applications are treated as “Players/Recorders”. Additionally, 3rd-party applications cannot mix audio with an ongoing circuit-switched voice call. This is due to a hard-coded Vendor ID check in the mixing policy between 3rd-party "Players" and native telephony application. 3rd parties cannot currently solve this problem and Nokia VID will not be available.

How to reproduce -

Solution A workaround solution is under investigation.

I have seen it working on 3250, with a application developed by 3rd party developer. It plays nicely audio files to uplink, so the known-issues doc is a bit misleading. Just requested a developer certificate, so going to check it with my applications as soon as I get the certificate.

yucca

Regular Contributor

Hi Yucca,

i do have a 3250, but currently no dev certificate for it. So I can not test it on this phone.

However, on my N80 (fw v3.0614.0.3, trace enabled), which I used up to now for all development activities and is our main target, i get the -21 error. Probably it would be firmware-dependent?

What is that 3rd party app that you are talking about? Razz at least is not supporting 3rd ed devices.

Best Regards, Marcel

this is the one I was refering to: http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...89607&R=189607

-21 is access denied, so could really be just the capability problem.

yucca

From past experience with an e60, description from the TechLib is correct. If you're a Nokia partner, you could probably ask for more details.