Discussion Board

Status window ??

As a Python newbie , I hope not to ask too silly a question ....

Is there a function in the Series 60 python libraries which performs the equivalent function to the 'busy' or 'statwinfo' functions in Psion OPL . These commands displayed a quick text note which was displayed in the corner of the screen and flashed for a fixed period of time , the idea being that if a process was taking some time to complete you could show a few busy notes to indicate that progress was being made .

A sort routine might include the statement ;

busy("Sorting item"+num$(sortcount%))

inside the sort loop .

I have a python script which calculates the cooking power of a microwave which needs to count for 60 seconds , and it would be nice to show a progress count every five seconds or so . I tried using print statements every five seconds , but this causes a lot of other text to flash past as well as my message . I tried using the information dialogs but this appears to cause the script to pause until the message is dismissed , or 5-10 seconds have elapsed , not very good for a timing loop .

Hoping someone has some ideas ...

Re: Status window ??

Originally posted by mkstevo

...it would be nice to show a progress count every five seconds or so . I tried using print statements every five seconds , but this causes a lot of other text to flash past as well as my message.
    Hi,

I'm not sure what you want, but in python you can add to a line on the screen (rather that add a newline) and use backspaces, etc. using the sys.stdout.write() command. Something like this, I guess.

Code:
    import sys
    import time

sys.stdout.write(u"Countdown: ")

i = 20

while i:
        sys.stdout.write(`i`)
        time.sleep(1)
        if i > 10:
            sys.stdout.write('\b\b')
        elif i == 10:
            sys.stdout.write('\b\b ')
        else:
            sys.stdout.write('\b')
        i -= 1
    (Although I'm sure you could do better)

M.

Re: Re: Status window ??

Originally posted by lvngt5gj9
    Hi,

I'm not sure what you want, but in python you can add to a line on the screen (rather that add a newline)
    Thanks , I'll try that and see if it is any tidier than my original attempt .