Discussion Board

Thread: After leave ?

After leave ?

Hi,
    suppose in my program creation of a C class object failed due to some problem. i have used cleanupstack .
    what will happen to my application after the leave i meant what will the end user see after the leave occured?
    hoping som hlp
    sym_coder

Regular Contributor
    It depends where the C-object was constructed....

If for example you are creating it in AppUi::ContructL, then this will leave and the user will be presented with an error message and the app will close. An example of this would be out of memory error, where the user will be prompted with a warning note, "Not enough memory..." (or similar).

If on the other hand you are creating this object once your app is already running, say for example in AppUi::HandleCommandL, then the framework will catch the error and the user will again be prompted with a suitable error.

first of all thanks for the reply..
    so even if i use TrapD and cleanup stack the application will exit.. so what is the use?
    sym_coder

Regular Contributor
    If you wrap the creation code in a TRAPD then you can handle the error yourself. In this case you can avoid the error being handled by the framework...

eg

void CMyAppUi::ConstructL()
    {
    TRAPD(ignored, iMyObject = CMyObject::NewL());
    // ignored = KErrNoMemory - we don't care ;-)
    // ConstructL does not leave, so no error reported
    // ... just don't try to use iMyObject or you'll get KERN-EXEC 3
    }

hi thanks...for the reply
    if i have used cleanupstack ...and the memory allocation fails what will happen will a error message pop up and the user can continue with the application/ or the user automatically exits from the applocation if he exits automayically can i ask system to do some save operations before leaving the application? pleas help sym_coder

Regular Contributor
    "if i have used cleanupstack ...and the memory allocation fails what will happen will a error message pop up and the user can continue with the application/ or the user automatically exits from the applocation "

The app will automatically exit & user will be given a OOM error message.

... and to handle errors in construction:

void CMyAppUi::ConstructL()
    {
    TRAPD(error, iMyObject = CMyObject::NewL());
    if (error)
    {
    // clean up
    }
    User::LeaveIfError(error);
    }