Discussion Board

Guidelines and public interface for custom C++ widgets

One thing that would really boost Series 60 Python development to world league is to allow 3rd party developers to wrap custom C++ GUI widgets to Python

I'm pretty experienced Symbian C++ developer and I could quite quickly do custom professional looking and behaving UI widget in C++.

However, I can do robust string and file handling, network access and application logic code much more easily in Python. It seems much better to have main control in Python side, and just do some libraries and widgets in C++.

What is needed from my point of view:
    - published interface of appuifw.app.body
    - some guidelines how to wrap custom c++ widget. Some examples of passing Python functions as event handlers etc.

With this professional and robust applications could be developed much more easily with mix of Python and C++.

Super Contributor

Re: Guidelines and public interface for custom C++ widgets

Originally posted by IsoPahaSusi
    One thing that would really boost Series 60 Python development to world league is to allow 3rd party developers to wrap custom C++ GUI widgets to Python

I'm pretty experienced Symbian C++ developer and I could quite quickly do custom professional looking and behaving UI widget in C++.

However, I can do robust string and file handling, network access and application logic code much more easily in Python. It seems much better to have main control in Python side, and just do some libraries and widgets in C++.

What is needed from my point of view:
    - published interface of appuifw.app.body
    - some guidelines how to wrap custom c++ widget.
    Some examples of passing Python functions as event handlers etc.
    I've actually thought a lot about this and already done some refactoring and prototyping to support dynamically loadable third-party UI widgets implemented in C++. It's going to take a bit of time to finish that work, though.

What sort of widgets did you have in mind?