Discussion Board

Thread: SDKs

SDKs

I have a Nokia 7650 phone and I want to use Microsoft Visual Studio .NET as the IDE, and I found many SDK’s for series 60 and I don’t know which one to install. Can anyone please help me?

I found:

1- “Series 60 Developer Platform SDK for Symbian OS, for C++, v0.9” which is recommended for 7650 and 3650 but I don’t know if it works for Microsoft visual studio .NET. http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/0,6566,034-841,00.html
    2- “SDK for 2nd Edition, FP 3, beta”. But I don’t know whether it would work for 7650 – which I think it is a series 60 DP 1.0 but I’m not sure of that- or not.
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/0,6566,034-4,00.html
    3- “SDK for 1st edition, FP1” but I don’t know if it works for Microsoft visual studio .NET
    (the same url as the above)

So, which should I download? If there is a better SDK other than those three, please let me know.

Nokia Developer Moderator
    the 0.9 would be excatly right choice, thou I would still recommend you to use 1.2 SDK, since it is the latest for OS 6.1 phones.

yucca

Super Contributor
    However, if my memory serves me right, those old SDKs don't support Visual Studio.NET, but only Visual Studio/C++ 6 (vintage 1996 or thereabouts).

Note also that since the 7650 is a Series 60 0.9 phone, apps done with the 1.2 SDK might have trouble with it (if there are changed APIs or APIs/libs in 1.2 that do not exist on a 0.9 device).

Nokia Developer Moderator
    I usually recommend SDK 1.2, since if you can make the applications made with it to work with 7650, then they most likely will wotk on other OS 6.1 phones as well, usually it is way too much work to make different versions to each different phone. Anyway, just my opinion and people are of course entitled to their own.

yucca

Super Contributor
    Hi,

Nokia Developer's Suite for Symbian OS supports the 1.2 SDK (with a few small caveats, see documentation) and allows you to develop on Visual Studio .NET using the 1.2 SDK.