Discussion Board

Python Standalone Application does not open

My application, installed from SIS, made from PY, just not opens after install. The icon was created, but when it is pressed, the screen just blinks to refresh the applications menu, and nothing happens. No "App. closed" messages.

Can you please help on what is wrong with it?

I even tried to use standart python examples from the SDK.

Regular Contributor

Re: Python Standalone Application does not open

Originally posted by addicted
    My application, installed from SIS, made from PY, just not opens after install. The icon was created, but when it is pressed, the screen just blinks to refresh the applications menu, and nothing happens. No "App. closed" messages.
    Did you use "py2sis" or did you package it with a custom ".pkg" file? If you used "py2sis" what arguments did you give and what device are you using? Probably the most common mistake is not to use "--presdk20" switch when packaging for 1st Edition devices.

Before packaging to a SIS file, try to run your script by using the Python application. Notice that the examples provided in the documentation might not be totally compatible with the new releases (i.e 1.1.1 onwards).

There is also one defect in "py2sis":

If you have a file named "default.py" in the same folder were you are invoking "py2sis" with some other script as argument (e.g. "foobar.py) it will always place script "default.py" to the created SIS file and not the one given as command line parameter (e.g. "foobar.py").

Unpackage your created SIS file e.g. with "unsis" (see http://www.symbian.com/developer/dow...ols.html#unsis) to investigate what really goes inside the created package if you have problems.

Actually, I managed to solve this problem

I just installed the Python console onto the phone, so standalone applications start, but now they don't do anything and end up with an error "System error (-2)". Even the examples run this way.

However, when I try to run the PY file from the console on the phone, scripts work ok.

So I guess there is something wrong with packaging to SIS.

I wrote a simple script to display a helloworld info note, then I used py2sis:

py2sis hello.py --uid=0x19FF5319

Regular Contributor

Re: Actually, I managed to solve this problem

I just installed the Python console onto the phone, so standalone applications start, but now they don't do anything and end up with an error "System error (-2)". Even the examples run this way.

However, when I try to run the PY file from the console on the phone, scripts work ok.

So I guess there is something wrong with packaging to SIS.

I wrote a simple script to display a helloworld info note, then I used py2sis:

py2sis hello.py --uid=0x19FF5319
    What was your device, Python version and what does the created SIS-file contain ("unsis" tool)? Does the Python application (from Menu) work, i.e. can you run it at all?

What is the "console" program you are using for running ".py" files?

Does the UID you provide clash with some other application UID in the phone? See SDK documentation about UIDs:

"
    During development temporary UIDs may be chosen from the range 0x01000000 to 0x0fffffff. Care must still be taken to avoid clashes within development teams and between multiple projects, including old projects which may still be installed on an emulator or native platforms. UID clashes may stop a program from loading correctly, typically leading to Not Found errors.
    "

(above from SDK Help, keywords "How to use UIDs")

Re: Re: Actually, I managed to solve this problem

Originally posted by otsov
    What was your device, Python version and what does the created SIS-file contain ("unsis" tool)? Does the Python application (from Menu) work, i.e. can you run it at all?

What is the "console" program you are using for running ".py" files?

Does the UID you provide clash with some other application UID in the phone? See SDK documentation about UIDs:

"
    During development temporary UIDs may be chosen from the range 0x01000000 to 0x0fffffff. Care must still be taken to avoid clashes within development teams and between multiple projects, including old projects which may still be installed on an emulator or native platforms. UID clashes may stop a program from loading correctly, typically leading to Not Found errors.
    "

(above from SDK Help, keywords "How to use UIDs")
    I tried to pack with different random UIDs, so it is hard to be a clash error.

Mys SIS file contains the default.py with my script, as I know, renamed from original hello.py.

Python app starts from menu too, but just to display System Error (-2) and that's it.

Device is Nokia 6600, Python console version is preAlpha 1.1.3, Python SDK for series 60 (which includes py2sis) is for 2nd edition FP2.

Thanks.

Regular Contributor

Re: Re: Re: Actually, I managed to solve this problem

Mys SIS file contains the default.py with my script, as I know, renamed from original hello.py.
    The following files need to be present in a SIS file which was e.g. named as "hello.sis":

o "default.py"
    o "hello.app"
    o "hello.rsc"

The application won't run if these are not present.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Actually, I managed to solve this problem

Originally posted by otsov
    The following files need to be present in a SIS file which was e.g. named as "hello.sis":

o "default.py"
    o "hello.app"
    o "hello.rsc"

The application won't run if these are not present.
    That is correct. There are all of them.

Super Contributor
    Please confirm: Did you solve the problem or does this still fail for you?

No,

Now I got an error "System error (-2)" on launch of standalone application.

Regular Contributor
    There is no way to make hello.sis without default.py?
    With python we can't create commercial application in fast way.

Quote...

o "default.py"
    o "hello.app"
    o "hello.rsc"