Discussion Board

Question Playback streaming audio

Hi there,

I am new to mobile phone programming in general. Is there any way to playback live streaming _audio_ on series 60 phones (or any other models), like listening to internet radio? Please point me to the right direction.

Thanks in advance,

Yong

Nokia Developer Moderator
    have a look into CMdaAudioOutputStream class, I think there is also couple of examples available using this class.

yucca

Thanks.

I briefly read a sample in the latest Symbian C++ SDK using CMdaAudioOutputStream, but still feel quite lost. Ideally I am looking for a class like CVideoPlayerUtility with OpenUrl method, which takes a "rtsp://" and just plays it. Is there a similar class for audio?

I came across a few postings suggesting using two players, one plays while the other receives, then switch. Is CMdaAudioOutputStream suitable for this design?

Best regards,

Yong

I found CMdaAudioPlayerUtility and am trying to make it playback live streaming audio. However, when given this url,

rtsp://rmlivev8.bbc.net.uk/farm/*/ev7/live24/worldservice/livenews_v8.ra

OpenUrlL() responded with KErrNotSupported on my Series 60 simulator. Any ideas? Is it because "RealAudio" format is not supported?

My environment is Symbian OS 8.0a Series 60 FP2 SDK.

TIA,

Yong

I've tried everything I could on CMdaAudioPlayerUtility::OpenUrlL() trying to open a "rtsp" streamed audio, without success (on emulator). MapcInitComplete() either gave me -1 (Not found) or -5 (not supported).

The streaming server is Windows Media Services 9. Windows Media Player can get the stream without any problem.

Any ideas? Has anyone done the similar successfully?

TIA

CMdaAudioPlayerUtility::OpenUrlL

I was wondering if you could solve this out. I'm trying to do the same and I also get a KErrNotSupported (-5) error on the emulator.

Does anyone has a clue?

Regards,
    PC

Question Re: Playback streaming audio

Hi,

Have anyone found out more information about this problem?

Found a document on Nokia site (Symbian_OS_Creating_Audio_Applications_In_Cpp_v1_0_en.pdf) that state that CMdaAudioPlayerUtility and CMdaAudioOutputStream can be used for streaming audio playback.

It seams like CMdaAudioOutputStream only support playing PCM audio formats. Is this correct? Not good if you want to play streaming audio in another format. Then you have to download the whole file first, convert it and then play it! Not exactly streaming...

When streaming with CMdaAudioPlayerUtility I guess that the OpenUrlL() function is to be used? Can't find any information about what protocols the URL must have. Is HTTP and/or RTSP supported? It only returns -1 (not found) when I try it...

I have seen posts about using the CVideoPlayerUtility::OpenUrlL() successfully. This API looks almost the same as the CMdaAudioPlayerUtility API (5.0), but it is newer (7.0s) and the OpenUrlL() function has more arguments (e.g. internet access point). Is this API supporting streaming video over HTTP and/or RTSP protocol? Can it be used for streaming audio to?

Can anyone give some more information about this?

Cheers
    Stefan

Regular Contributor

Re: Playback streaming audio

steffe66: You don't necessarily need to download the whole file before converting it. Download it piece by piece, convert each piece and send the PCM data to the audio device. (This is exactly the same way you'd do it on your PC if you wanted to stream eg. an mp3.)