Discussion Board

Question Symbian and non Symbian J2ME

I am a J2ME developer who has develope J2ME MIDP 1.0 for nokia phone (non Symbian). I am new to Symbian and I would like to develope J2ME midlet for Symbian OS. After I go through a lot of Symbian site and read most of the document, I get confuse.
    What is the different between Symbian and non Symbian phone for a J2ME midlet ? I can develope a J2ME which can work on Non symbian phone and it will work on Symbian phone, right ? Do I really need to care whether it is a Symbian phone ? Is there anything that My midlet can do extra in Symbian phone ?
    Is it better to use C++ to develope for Symbian since C++ do not run as "Sand box" ? So I assumpt it can do more thing compare to J2ME in the same Symbioan phone.

In theory you should be able to execute your MIDlets on any Nokia handset BUT you will of cause need to be aware of differences like screen sizes, time performances, heap sizes, supported APIs etc. To add to the complexity you might also find small differences in the implementation of the S40 JVM and the S60 JVM even for the same APIs.

Moving from Java to Symbian will as you say give you more freedom, but programming in Symbian is also more complex and with the more freedom also comes more testing.

Thank you for the reply.
    Basically I don't need to learn anything new from the J2ME if I know all the API in MIDP 2.0.
    So I only change my screen size. And I guess memory shouldn't be problem if it can run on series 40 which has less memory. Only I will need to do more testing with series 60 phone. Am I right ?