Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Weird colours on the Nokia 6680

Hello all,
    I recently installed a couple of my applications on the Nokia 6680, and the icons that show on the list and the context pane look really weird. The colours are all off, even though the same bmp files work on the 3650, 6600 and others. There is heavy contouring artifacts, and some of the colours are just plain wrong, for example red instead of yellow, green instead of blue etc. It appears that there is some truncation to a lower colour space, but I can't generate the same truncation results using graphics software. Does anyone know anything about this, and how I can get the right colour palette or whatever?

Thanks a lot!

d.

Super Contributor
    I think that's because 6680 has more color than 3650 and 6600 (262,144-color).

Antony

Regular Contributor
    Hello Antony,
    thanks for the reply. I am aware that the 6680 supports more colours, but strangely enough that's not what I am seeing in the icons -- other graphics images I use in my application, even those at lower colour depths, work fine. But the icon files I build into my AIF file, standard 256-colour .bmp files, get messed up. And the contouring effects I observe remind me of the same kind of colour space truncation that occurs when going from a higher to lower colour depth.

What about spinning the question the other way: What IS the correct colour format for icon files for the 6680? What is the correct command I should use to generate the AIF data?

Thanks a lot!

d.

Check enum EColor16MU...

Hi,

We had similar problem with our application, until we found out that there is a new display mode on 6680. Indeed, the value EColor16MU has been added to the enum TDisplayMode. And the TRgb class has a new method TRgb::Color16MU().

Unfortunately, this is not documented in the SDK FP2 (at least in the one I have...). So I had to check the header file (epoc32/include/gdi.h) to find this out.

The trouble was that we used to rely on binary compatibily between 7.0s and 8.0a... Now, we need to generate separate ".sis" for those platforms.

Hope this helps.

Regards!

Adrien.

Regular Contributor
    Hello Adrien,
    that's good information to know. However it's not quite the problem I'm dealing with right now. I'm having trouble with the icons that show up in the context pane and list sections in the main menu. Put another way, in the .mmp file you need to create an AIF file with the following command:

AIF Stream5.aif . TruvideoPlayeraif.rss c8 ..\aif\context_pane_icon.bmp ..\aif\context_pane_icon_mask.bmp ..\aif\list_icon.bmp ..\aif\list_icon_mask.bmp

And it's these icon bitmaps that do not show up properly. Perhaps if you could show me your own AIF command line, or tell me what format the abovementioned .bmp files need to be in for the 6680 specifically?

Thank you very much.

d.

Re: Weird colours on the Nokia 6680

Hi!

@drakest1:
    I am having the same damn problem! And i've solved it. You need to change the AIF line in your .MMP file that is specifying the colour depth of the converted images. Simply change "c8" with the "c16" or "c24". You can draw the icon in the Macromedia Fireworks, save it as the 24-bit bitmap and all you have to do is to change "c8" with "c24". So, the line should be:

AIF SMSExample.aif ..\aif SMSExampleaif.rss c24 context_pane_icon.bmp...

If your bitmaps are 16-bit, put c16. This works on 6630 and newer phones.