Discussion Board

6230i MMAPI play java?

hi, i need a clear statement here, cos i can't seem to get one anywhere in Nokia's documentations:

does 6230i's MMAPI allows playing mp3 and wav files or not?

if yes, then how? i tried using "audio/mpeg" and "audio/mp3" as content type, but they wont play, even in the emulator! i changed it into "audio/midi" and change the file into a midi file and it worked.

i just need some light to be shed here..

MMAPI in Series 40, MIDP 2.0 (including 6230i)

Hi,

I ran into the same problem with the 6230i, I ordered one for development purposes b/c I assumed the firmware would have been updated to support more media types through MMAPI --- but nope! The *only* media type supported through MMAPI is MIDI playback. Can you believe it?? On a phone with such great built-in MP3, AAC, photo, and video capabilities.... nothing.

Scandalous. I really hope there's a plan in the Series 40 roadmap to expose more of the phone's features, for future handsets. "Low-end" Series 40 phones are beginning to possess similar feature sets to Series 60 smartphones, at least in hardware.... the main differences are slowly being narrowed to how those features get exposed via the UI & APIs.... I seriously hope J2ME implementations keep pace with hardware advances.

Sam

for wav/mp3 like sounds, you may use AMR

Re: 6230i MMAPI play java?

try audio/mpeg3

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi,

MIDP: Mobile Media API Support In Nokia Devices document lists mp3 support in 6230i as "TESTED TO WORK", so I assume it should work in the commercial firmware version.

6230 doesn't have mp3 support though. If you don't mind me asking, you have 6230i or 6230?

If you have 6230i, please share the code you're using to play the file.

Daniel

Regular Contributor

You can ask the system about supported content types by the following command:

String[] supportedContentTypes = Manager.getSupportedContentTypes(null);

The problem on Nokia phones is not just in supported content types, but also in small heap sizes. If you will try to play mp3 file which has size more than heap size, the system will drop out the OutOfMemoryError. And also DataSource and SourceStream are not behaving as the standards are requiring.

Still waiting for a better firmware...