Discussion Board

Unicode resource files

Does CodeWarrior support unicode resource files? - or do I have to enter all my unicode characters in <0xXXXX> format?

Nokia Developer Expert
    Do you mean the Symbian resource compiler? I don't know why you would be using the MW resource compiler. Can you be more specific about what kind of resource you are taking about and what you are trying to do?

Cheers,
    Tim

Well, I assume that CW invokes the Symbian resource compiler (?).

Specifically can I write my .rss files in unicode so that I can have non-latin resource strings (I'm trying to produce an arabic version of my program).

I am aware that you can insert unicode characters using the <0xXXXX> notation, but given the large number of long strings, I don't want to have to spell everything out character by character this way.

Nokia Developer Expert
    I haven't seen a way to do this in .rss files except as you are describing. This should be posted in the general Symbian C++ section as this isn't really a CodeWarrior issue.

OK, after reading a helpful article on the newlc site about this I can answer my own question :).

Overview: CodeWarrior does not support unicode - you have to use an external editor . The symbian resource compiler does, in the form of UTF-8.

Basically, the Symbain resource compilier will accept files in UTF-8, however rather than the (windows standard?) way of flaging the file as UTF-8 (several 'magic bytes' at the start of the file - codepage id I guess) you have to include the plain text line 'CHARACTER_SET UTF-8' at the start. If you use something like Windows wordpad to load a unicode file and save it as UTF-8 then you will need to use a hex editor to remove those bytes from the start - and will no longer be able to use wordpad to change the file without reinserting them. Codewarrior can be used to edit the modified UTF-8 file, but you will get garbage for all the non-latin characters.