Discussion Board

Question an application calls another application

How an application calls and send data to another application?(one application talks to another application)?

Regular Contributor
    you can try access to some shared file or the sockets. I'd prefer the second one

further information

Any further information or examples for that ? That is very difficult to start without any ideas.Thanks a lot.

Regular Contributor
    1)

two applications exchange data using some file. for example one application creates file "c:\data.dat", writes some data into it, then the second application opens it, reads it, and can edit it, and so on ...

that solution seems quite awkward to me, because there isn't any way to "notify" the second application, and you would have to synchronize the writing/reading mechanism very exactly.

2)

I'not so experienced with sockets in python, so I won't post any code ... but just theoretically:

sockets are used to communicate over tcp/ip, but they can be used locally. one app creates tcp/udp socket on some port, and the second creates client socket and connects to the server. and the data are flowing

3)

maybe there are some extras in Symbian, I don't know. I mean something like windows messaging, windows' memory file mapping, or linux signals.