Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

problem with .net 2003 ??

Hi,
    I have .net 2003, nds1.1 and nS60_sdk_v1_2
    while I try to compile the template view-based project .net2003
    firstly gives a message :
    "These project configurations are out of date.
    Symbian1-Deb_s60_12_WINS Win32.
    Would you like to build them? "
    I say yes but compilation process gives an error :

"ERROR: RCMake failed: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    Project : error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code from "Performing Pre-Build Event...""

Can anyone help me?

Super Contributor
    Hi,

This PRJ0019 error could result when you have the application running in the emulator (using run or debug) when you try to build.

Pls first make sure that the application and the emulator are not active when building.

Regular Contributor
    OK,
    what does the message:
    "These project configurations are out of date.
    Symbian1-Deb_s60_12_WINS Win32.
    Would you like to build them? "

means? please

Super Contributor
    Hi,

It means exactly what it says, that particular configuration is out of date, i.e. you have modified one or more of the files needed to build the configuration since your last build. Perhaps you edited on of the .cpp files? So you can either choose to just start the old application without the modifications (choose "No") or incude your modifications by rebuilding (choose "Yes").

This and many other things you will encounter when using NDS are standard Visual Studio behaviour and not in any way modified by NDS. If you are new to Visual Studio, I recommend that you read up a bit on the Visual Studio documentation etc, these kind of Visual Studio aspects are not included in the NDS documentation. You will also find the Visual Studio help system useful.

Re: problem with .net 2003 ??

I am in the process of upgrading to a new laptop. Everything is working fine apart from Symbian projects. Projects that worked on my old laptop come up with:

"ERROR: RCMake failed: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    Project : error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code from "Performing Pre-Build Event..."

when I try to compile them. I have tried all the suggestions but to no avail, it still doesn't work. The system has full access to all directories, but it didn't even create the build directory under epoc32.

Any suggestions?

Super Contributor

Hi,

The error message prj0019 is so generic that it alone does not really enable me to give a precise answer.

Some issues to consider are:
    - How did you copy the projects to your new machine? If the project location or something else has changed, then some of the build settings might not reflect the new environment. To recreate the build configurations which hold these settings, you can use the "SDK Configuration Manager" to remove and the add the SDKs to/from the project. Note that you must do this a couple of times so that you add and then remove all SDKs as the tool will not allow you to remove all SDKs in one shot.
    - Another option to make sure that the project is in a consistent state is to not copy the vcproject files to the new machine/location, only the .mpp file and other project files. You can then use the Import Symbian Project functions to import the project into Visual Studio, this will also ensure that the project set-up is consistent with your environment.
    - To build, you need write access to the SDK directory. Have you checked that you have not only read but also write access to the SDK directories under C:Symbian/...

If these do not help, pls provide a bit more information from the build log prior to the error.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Ok, I solved this by re-running the NDS "SDK Configuration Manager" from the projects menu. However now compiling is stopping when it gets to the context-sensitive help. I've ensured I have the exact same version of Perl running on both machines, and it compiles fine on my old machine. When it executes cshlpcmp.bat it produces the following:

"Bareword found where operator expected at C:/Symbian/7.0s/Series60_V20/epoc32/tools/perllib/params.pm line 461, near "New CParamItem" (Do you need to predeclare New?)"

any clues? Why is everything to do with Symbian development so difficult?

Ok, ignore this post, it seems that I need to go even further back with the version of Perl I am using.

cheers