Discussion Board

Real Time Clock in Nokia 12

Hi all;

Nokia 12 has RTC but hasn´t a build-in battery or API for update, and It is dependsof NITZ GSM Service.

I need controller time for Inputs digitals activate and it is a big problem for me.

What can I do?

Is there some hardware implementation actually in market with RTC (with battery) and GPS on board?

any suggest for resolve it?

Thanks in advanced

Regular Contributor
    I suggest you get time from GPS device.
    Many OEM GPS modules have battery & RTC on board (access via serial port - secondary).
    GPS device is capable to get time from sky too, of course, when there are visible satellites.

Thanks Raimods;

There are some problems;

1) GPS is atach to Port1 and get data though ORB, so I can´t interrogate it though Serial interface ??

2) I will need get time clock sometimes when GPS hasn´t coverture.

At the moment, I get time from GPS, but I have problem when I haven´t new positions and GSM is not NITZ service available or not is synchronized (reboot, etc).

One question?

I don´t understand when you say "access via serial port - secondary"

Thank in advanced

Regular Contributor
    OEM modules have some additional capabilities (at least devices with ARM MCU, that i have). They have 2 serial ports, one of them can be accessed from additional s/w inside module (to write this s/w you must have dveloper kit for module).
    There is RTC onboard also, that can be accessed in similar way.
    If your GPS modules don't have user-programming capabilities, the only solution is to use external RTC chip with serial interface and built-in battery, that will be synchronized from GPS data.

Like in other occasions:
    thanks to share your knowledge.

Regards

A last question:

Your company has some implementation with the Nokia 12, GPS, Power Suply, RTC, enclousure box finished, etc?

Regular Contributor
    Hi!
    At this moment this project is in final testing stage.
    We plan to build some working real devices in september.
    Tis is : N12 with full battery backup (internal) + GPS module with external active GPS antenna (of course, with RTC).
    Mainly for automotive use.

Our basic products are meter reading & remote control systems.

Raimonds;

We are in finish phase develepment with nokia 12 module (Telemetry and GPS Location, so
    If would be possible, I would like you send me technical information about your short future product.

Type GPS (chanels, sensibiliy, ...) others components capabilities, power suply, box enclosure, etc.
    In fact, all you think was important technically.

It would be very interesing for us, to have this information to make decisions about final products that acompliesh our requirements.

Thanks

info@tecnomap.net