Discussion Board

Thread: debug on device

debug on device

I have a midlet that runs without problems in the emulator, but not one the device, when I try to open it it blanks a screen and closes

I tried to catch all exceptions and create an alert, but still nothing.

I have an ngage, and I am developing for s60, anyway to print a sout or something like that to debug?

any ideas are welcome

thanks in advance
    marcel

Super Contributor
    Hi,

One way is; if you are using canvas; declare a variable and change its value after certain blocks of code and the draw it on the canvas using drawString() ; IMHO by this way you could find out where the problem is comming.

regards
    Gopal

Regular Contributor
    Just to add:

Where exactly does it crash?

If it crashes at the very start of the midlet (before anything else gets run), try checking if you have the correct CLDC and MIDP versions in the jar/jad file. Also check the memory. If it's a particularly large app, some phones might not be able to handle it.

Or you can just append any printStackTrace(0)'s as StringItems to a form and display it.

Cheers.

i got exactly the same error and i've been searching all day - error source was: i used "float" !

PrintStackTrace

Quote Originally Posted by lmtang
    Just to add:

Or you can just append any printStackTrace(0)'s as StringItems to a form and display it.

Cheers.

?????
    'printStackTrace' sends it's output to the standard error stream. There is no way to capture that on an actual Nokia device.

Regular Contributor

Re: debug on device

Ah yes. My mistake. Oversight.