Discussion Board

6230i - Faulty pixel in display

Sigh... after only 4 days of owning the phone, a partially dead pixel has appeared in my phone's display. When black is supposed to be displayed, this pixel is stuck on blue, and it seems that whenever any other dark colour is being displayed on that part of the screen, the pixel is also stuck blue. Red and green (apparently) are displayed correctly.

What is Nokia's policy on dead pixels in phone displays? I was unable to find a mention of it in the warranty. In my opinion this constitutes a hardware fault that I can ask to have the phone repaired or replaced for, but the thought plays in the back of my mind that I am lucky the pixel is not completely dead - it only really shows when I am viewing pictures or video (which is still irritating). Perhaps if I were to get a replacement, I would just end up with another dead pixel on that phone.

Thoughts?

Alex
    Last edited by psx9; 2005-07-15 at 00:29.

Re: 6230i - Faulty pixel in display

Hi Alex,

What was the final outcome to your problem? Yesterday I bought a 6230i phone and this afternoon noticed that the display has 2 dead pixels. One is visible under black background; dead pixel shows blue dot and the other one is visible under white background; dead pixel shows black dot.

Did you get your phone replaced with a new one? Or they repaired it? I just don't understand how come this type of defects gets through quality and testing process. I guess is because it’s made in China.

Sanjib

Sanjib,

Unfortunately, I did nothing more about this problem! For the simple reason that I'm pretty sure sending it back to Nokia would mean having the phone completely wiped of all my settings and downloaded content. If the phone had to be completely replaced, this would also have the same effect.

The pixel does annoy me, since it is quite near the centre of the screen.. at some point in time, I may buy a replacement screen myself and replace it manually. But I am in no hurry to do this!

I didn't phone nokia to see what their policy is on dead pixels and whether or not they constitute faulty hardware under the guarantee. If you do decide to call, or find out any more on this issue, please let me know...

Thanks

Alex

Alex, I would have thought they would only replace the screen which doesn't mean you lose all your data.
    Bob

Super Contributor

I think your phone is damaged in that way that one of the transistors that powering the "dead" pixel has broken and therefore a change of the display would fix your problem.

Well... if I could be assured that the phone would not be wiped, then yes I would go ahead with sending it for repair. I guess January would be a good time for me since I have a 4 week break from university...

Thanks for pointing this out, I did just assume that nokia policy would be to completely reset any phones they get in for service.

Will post here if/when i take this further

Alex