Discussion Board

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The definitive guide on using the symbian series 60 SDK with Visual Studio 2003

Hi,

After having spent an hour trying to make the series 60 SDK to work with Visual Studio 2003, i thought that i would write a little guide for all the newbies like me trying to get started with Symbian developement. Most of what i going to write has been written in different posts in this forum but the search facility here is so bad that it's often impossible to find the relevant posts. So here it all in a single post:

1) Make sure that you have VS 2003 *English* installed in its default directory (some SDK are only compatible with the English version of VS)

2) Download an SDK here: http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/0,6566,034-4,00.html

Do not install it yet.

I chose '1Ed, FP1, MS & Borland' since i want to develop for my Sendo X but the procedure should be similar for newer SDKs

3) Download Nokia Developer Suite (NDS) here: http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/0,,034-902,00.html

This is what allows you to use the SDK with VS. Do not install it yet.

4) If you don't have Java on your PC, download it here: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp

Choose 'JRE 5.0'

5) Download Active Perl here: http://www.activestate.com/store/lan...?id=ActivePerl

6) Install *in the following order*:

- JRE 5.0
    - Active Perl
    - SDK
    - NDS

Always choose the default paths and options. This will make a mess on your PC by installing stuff everywhere (in the Program Files folder, at the root of your C: drive...) but at least, it's going to work

7) Restart your PC as requested

8) Launch Visual Studio and choose File -> Import Symbian Project.

9) A window will appear telling you that no SDK are enabled and asking you to enable one. A list of installed SDK will be displayed. Choose one (there should be only one displayed anyway unless you've installed several versions of the SDK) and click OK.

If <Not Available> is displayed in front of the SDK and you are not able to select the SDK, then this means that you either don't have an SDK compatible with Visual studio or that you have not installed things in the proper order. Make sure that you have installed the SDK and try to re-install NDS (NDS should be installed *after* the SDK), restart your PC and try again.

10) Now a window should be displayed asking you to choose a project file. Choose one of the sample projects supplied with the SDK, e.g:

C:\Symbian\6.1\Series60\Series60Ex\helloworld\group\bld.inf

Do not modify any path or option. Simply click OK until the project is opened in Visual Studio

11) Try to build the project by choosing Build -> Build Solution. You will get the following error: 'Error Spawning cl.exe'. Cl.exe is the compiler and linker. This error means that it couldn't be started. To fix this problem, go to Tools -> Options -> Projects -> VC++ Directories and add the following path: $(VSInstallDir)vc7\bin

12) Try the build the project again. You will get this typical Windows error: "Unable to find mspdb71.dll. Re-installing the program may fix the problem". This basically tells you to reformat and re-install everything. Of course, do not do that. Instead, go back to Tools -> Options -> Projects -> VC++ Directories and add the following path: $(VSInstallDir)Common7\IDE

13) Try to build the project again. This time, it should work!

14) If you want to create a new Symbian project, never use spaces in the project's path. For example, do not place your project in C:\Documents and Settings\Me\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\My First Symbian Project\. If you do that, you may get one of those useless error messages when you'll try to build the project saying that a preprocessing tool has failed. Always create your projects in paths with shorts names and without spaces such as C:\MyProjects\Symbian1\

That's it. Enjoy.
    Last edited by vioccc; 2005-07-30 at 20:02.

hi

i made the smae stips but when i bild the project a window apear for me and i dont know what to chose

see the pic from this link

http://a7meedye5.tripod.com/dialog.JPG

and when i chosed " no " i had a error

" Symbian2 error result returned from 'cl.exe'. "

what to do ??

Originally posted by a7meedye

see the pic from this link

http://a7meedye5.tripod.com/dialog.JPG

It looks like there has been a problem without your attachment. I can not see any image there.

when I create .sis ,error follow

helloworldbasic.uid.cpp
    group\helloworldbasic.uid.cpp(2) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'E32STD.H': No such file or directory
    helloworldbasicdocument.cpp
    src\helloworldbasicdocument.cpp(3) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'HelloWorldBasicAppUi.h': No such file or directory
    helloworldbasicappview.cpp
    src\helloworldbasicappview.cpp(3) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'coemain.h': No such file or directory
    helloworldbasicappui.cpp
    src\helloworldbasicappui.cpp(3) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'avkon.hrh': No such file or directory
    helloworldbasicapplication.cpp
    src\helloworldbasicapplication.cpp(3) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'HelloWorldBasicDocument.h': No such file or directory
    helloworldbasic.cpp
    src\helloworldbasic.cpp(3) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'HelloWorldBasicApplication.h': No such file or directory

help me please!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by vioccc
    It looks like there has been a problem without your attachment. I can not see any image there.
    but the link work's, try again and refresh if not work.

BTW this error apear:

dialog apear with name " Just In Time Debbuging "

and with msg "An exeption 'System.TypeInilizationExeption' has occured in cl.exe "

and with list of " Possible Debuggers "

"New Instance of Microsoft CLR Debugger 2003"
    "New Instance of Visual Studio.Net 2003"
    and
    "Symbian2- Microsoft Visual C++ [design] - start page : visual studio.net

and i have to select one and click yes and when i do i have an error

Originally posted by fierceku
    when I create .sis
    I think that i can help you here. I've advanced a bit furtther tonight in the wonderfull world of Symbian OS programming and here are my findings (keep in mind that i am using the series 60 1.2 SDK so some version numbers and paths may be different for other versions of the SDK):

*** Debug Build ***

Whenever you create or import a symbian project in VS 2003, VS sets the build mode to Deb_S60_12_WINS (i'm talking about that drop-down list in VS toolbar). In this mode, the Visual Studio compiler is used to create Intel x86 code that can be run in the Windows based emulator. If you press F5, the project will be built and the emulator launched. However, a dialog box is going to be displayed saying that epoc.exe (that's the emulator) does not contain debugging informations. I don't quite understand this message since you can see in the Output window that VS has launched the Debug version of the emulator and breakpoints are hit OK when you launch your program on the emulator. Anyway, it doesn't seem to affect the debugging so I'll look at this problem later.

*** Release Build ***

If you want to create a sis file to install on the phone, you'll first need to create an ARM binary since series 60 phones are running on ARM processors. This is done by using the gcc compiler supplied with the series 60 SDK. If you choose the "Release" build configuration in VS, you'll get the error that you've described in your post. This is because the default VS Release and Debug modes can not be used for symbian applications. They are not properly configured for that. Instead, right-click on your project in the Solution Explorer window and choose "SDK Configuration Manager" then check the ARMI check box. Click OK and you should now have a Rel_S60_12_ARMI build configuration available. Choose that and build.
    You'll get the following error:
    error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code from "Performing Makefile project actions"

And in the Output window: Could not execute makesis.exe, error: The system cannot find the file specified

So it didn't find makesis.exe. As usual, go to Tools -> Options -> Projects -> VC++ Directories and add the path to makesis.exe which is: C:\Symbian\6.1\Shared\EPOC32\Tools

Build again. Other error.. well no, i'm seeing some strange stuff here, there was an error at first, solved it but then i couldn't get it to happen again even after undoing what i did to solve it. Tell me if you've got an error.

So now the sis file should be created in the install folder of your project; beam it to your phone and admire this superb Hello World that displayed on the screen (yes, all that for that...).

It's only been a few hours that i am playing with that Symbian SDK but it already looks like loads of fun...

Originally posted by a7meedye
    but the link work's, try again and refresh if not work.
    If i click on the link, i am directed to this page: http://a7meedye5.tripod.com/adm/interstitial/remote.jpg
    which only shows the tripod logo. I've tried to manually type the link and it worked though.

I'm afraid i can help you much here. I've not had this error on my system, neither with the sample applications nor with a new project. It compiles fine.

It looks like cl.exe has some problems on your computer. The first thing i would do is to look on all your drives for files called cl.exe. Then, in Visual Studio, check in Tools -> Options -> Projects -> VC++ Directories if you do not have the path of the wrong cl.exe. The one that should be used is the one located in your Visual Studio install folder, which by default is "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\bin"

Make sure that this path is specified in the Directory list and that there is no path that leads to another cl.exe file. If there, is, make a note of it, delete it and try to rebuild (be carefull though, removing a path here may break something else)

That's all i can think of for now.

hi I tried to get it to run to,

the installation was OK, I can chouse my SDK and the paths are all ok, but if I want to compile the project I get an error

HelloWorld error PRJ0019: One tool has returned an errorcode from follows source: "precompile is conducted..."

here original in german (i have german version of VS)
    HelloWorld error PRJ0019: Ein Tool hat einen Fehlercode aus folgender Quelle zurückgegeben: "Präbuildereignis wird ausgeführt..."

Could u help me
    Last edited by russya; 2005-07-25 at 23:20.

Originally posted by russya

here original in german (i have german version of VS)
    HelloWorld error PRJ0019: Ein Tool hat einen Fehlercode aus folgender Quelle zurückgegeben: "Präbuildereignis wird ausgeführt..."
    What build configuration are you using? (Deb_S60_12_WINS, Rel_S60_12_ARMI, something else?).

Can you post the content of Visual Studio's Output window, this generally gives you more clues about what has gone wrong than the error message alone.

when I try to run it in debug mode Deb_S60_12_WINS

HelloWorld error PRJ0019: One tool has returned an errorcode from follows source: "precompile event is conducted..."

then he ask me du you want to continuing? If I say yes i get a massage

"epoc.exe" contains no debug informations (no symbols/icons loaded) click OK to debug enyway

when i click OK the EPOC emulator appiers, but nothing happens

--------------------
    if I choose release the I get this errors
    helloworld.uid.cpp(2): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'E32STD.H': No such file or directory
    helloworld.cpp(3): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'HelloWorldApplication.h': No such file or directory
    helloworldapplication.cpp(3): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'HelloWorldDocument.h': No such file or directory
    helloworldappui.cpp(3): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'avkon.hrh': No such file or directory
    helloworldappview.cpp(3): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'coemain.h': No such file or directory
    helloworlddocument.cpp(3): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'HelloWorldAppUi.h': No such file or directory

I append all paths but it want not compile
    Last edited by russya; 2005-07-26 at 18:29.

Thank you for your great guide - everything went smooth'n'nice as I did just as you told! Probably saved me a sleepless night or two - thanks again! :)

HelloWorld error PRJ0019: One tool has returned an errorcode from follows source: "precompile event is conducted..."
    This error message is too generic to be able to tell you what's wrong. In Visual Studio, after having had this error, go to the View menu -> Other Windows -> Output. The Output window will tell what exactly failed. If you still can't understand the error, post the content of the Output window here so that we can have a look.

then he ask me du you want to continuing? If I say yes i get a massage

"epoc.exe" contains no debug informations (no symbols/icons loaded) click OK to debug enyway

when i click OK the EPOC emulator appiers, but nothing happens

Once the emulator has appeared, you need to wait a while (maybe 30 seconds) before you see anything happening. Then, the phone menu should be displayed in the emulator's screen. Use the emulator's up and down keys to scroll down until you see the icon of the application you've just compiled. It is however possible that your application won't show up there since it apparently failed to compile.

The "epoc.exe" contains no debug informations" message is normal. I have it too but it deosn't prevent you from debugging the application.

--------------------
    if I choose release the I get this errors
    helloworld.uid.cpp(2): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'E32STD.H': No such file or directory
    See my answer to fierceku in this thread for instructions on how to solve this problem

so,

this is the content of output window when I build in debug mode

Updating HelloWorld.mmp based on Deb_S60_12_WINS
    Update of mmp file not needed
    WINS (emulator) build
    Updating halloWorld.mmp based on Deb_S60_12_WINS
    WINS (emulator) build
    Unable to update MMP with current build configuration
    Unable to update MMP with current build configuration
    Updating halloWorld.mmp based on Deb_S60_12_WINS
    WINS (emulator) build

he ask me one arror occurred, want to continue? yes/no
    I say yes and see just "Series 60" in EPOC emulator and it nothing happens, apsolutely nothing also more after one minute

the error is: error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code from "Performing Makefile project actions"

when I build it for release Rel_S60_12_ARMI it appiers a dialog where I have to choose an executable file ??? I put the path to makesis.exe after klicking OK I get follow information in output window
    'makesis.exe': 'D:\Symbian\6.1\Shared\EPOC32\Tools\makesis.exe' geladen, Keine Symbole geladen.
    'makesis.exe': 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll' geladen, Keine Symbole geladen.
    'makesis.exe': 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll' geladen, Keine Symbole geladen.
    Eine Ausnahme (erste Chance) bei 0x7c81eb33 in makesis.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: TCommandLineException @ 0x0012f4cc.
    Das Programm "[1180] makesis.exe: Systemeigen" wurde mit Code 1 (0x1) beendet.

should I tranclate it?
    is it Ok? but I dont find any sis files in install directory, even install dir is not there

this are the folders wich I have
    $(VCInstallDir)bin
    $(VSInstallDir)Common7\Tools\bin\prerelease
    $(VSInstallDir)Common7\Tools\bin
    $(VSInstallDir)Common7\tools
    $(VSInstallDir)Common7\ide
    C:\Programme\HTML Help Workshop\
    $(FrameworkSDKDir)bin
    $(FrameworkDir)$(FrameworkVersion)
    D:\Perl\bin\
    C:\WINDOWS\system32
    C:\WINDOWS
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem
    C:\Programme\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Ghost\
    C:\Programme\Gemeinsame Dateien\Autodesk Shared\
    C:\Programme\backburner 2\
    D:\Programme\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\bin
    D:\Nokia\Tools\NDS_for_SymbianOS_VS\WINSCW\Symbian_Tools\Command_Line_Tools
    D:\Symbian\6.1\Shared\EPOC32\Tools

I dont know what it want

Super Contributor
    Hello russya,

Unfortunately you have encountered one of the limitations of NDS, it only supports the English version of Visual Studio and will not work with the German version you seem to be using.